Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health update

Blog Entries

Health update

I went back to the Surgeon today for a check-up. Thing were very positive. I am off painkillers and feeling rather good. He cleared me to drive (LOML is happy for this), exercise, and I can return to work. This is good news from my perspective.

Now, you'd think that being on short term disability would be a good thing, but it wasn't all you'd think. The first part was so filled with pain (& painkillers) you really could do much of anything. The second part was trying to readjust. You'd focus on redeveloping mobility while tapering down on the pain and use of painkillers. It is only in the last week where I could feel like I used to in terms of energy, mobility, interest in doing things, etc... I've been cooking up a storm and have been working on some castings. But my mind needs some challenges to tackle.

Thanks for all your support and well wishes. The operation was a success and the vertebrae will continue to fuse together for the next 6-8 months. But I seem to be a going concern and do not dread waking up in the morning wondering how much it was going to hurt that day as I did before the operation. I will be doing physical therapy for a while and work back to full strength at the gym and in the shop.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Now, you'd think that being on short term disability would be a good thing, but it wasn't all you'd think
    LOL! That's what retirement is like - - only w/out the pain killers!

Glad to hear you're healing ok.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Good to hear, Shawn. I hope your continuing recovery goes well and without incident.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Glad to hear it was a success. Have a speedy recovery, Shawn.

Rick P

Thats good news Shawn, I hope your health continues to improve.

Keith

Sounds like you are making good progress. Hope it continues.

George

Glad to hear things are looking up for you Shawn.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear the good news Shawn.

I hope you're rehab goes well and you're pain free soon.

PHM

That is good news. I know a roofer that had similar surgery, it was a new lease on life! None of us friends had realized just what a toll the pain had taken on the guy until we got our old friend back.

In a previous work incarnation, I sold products to interventional radiologists for pain managment.

I wouldn't wish the kind of suffering I saw on their patients on my worst enemy.
    It's invisible, debilitating and relentless.

I knew one young man that survived a forced landing in a lake with his sailplane.
    The only way he could escape constant pain (pinched nerve root, L4) was walking, briskly.

He finally scheduled surgery when he began to fall asleep, while walking.

Glad to hear you are getting back into things. May your healing continue on its good path.

Take Care....
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Most excellent Shawn! I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Paul

Having suffered a broken back in 2001, I can empathize with what you endured! Here's wishing you a continued successful recovery!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had a herniated disc repaired over 30 years ago. I still have numbness in my left foot and lower leg but it is not bothersome. After the surgery, I asked what my limitations would be. He said, "No bending, no lifting, no twisting." I repeatedly asked for clarification and he kept repeating the same thing. After a bit, he added, "Use your head, not your back." That's the best advice to hear but adhering to it is not always easy. I hope things work out well for you but don't over-do it. The last thing you want is to be back on the operating table.

Awesome, Shawn! I have not reached the shores of needing disc repair but I'm wading in the water and doing my best to stave it off with exercise but I fear one day I may be washed ashore and have to deal with these things. A dear friend of mine was recently diagnosed with MD (muscular dystrophy) and she is only a few years younger than me. Getting old stinks I keep hearing. My boss always likes to tell me, "Don't get old."
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.