Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is the table saw (non sawstop) the most dangerous tool in the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    I once read that any dull tool is the most potentially dangerous piece of equipment in a shop.

This thread reminds me of my 9th grade woodworking teacher, who implemented a particularly effective method for helping adolescent boys (not many girls were taking woodshop in the early '70s) remember the safety rules and to pay attention during the safety lectures. If you were caught violiating a safety rule or operating equipment in a non-safe way, you were subjected to a "hot-hand"--a quick slap of a 12" steel rule across your open palm--which you had to offer voluntarily or else drop the class. I had one once, as the result of a near kickback situation I'd created on the tablesaw (through improper use of a miter gauge). There was one kid in class who was famous for getting the ol' hot-hand on a regular basis--once deep enough that you could read the eighth-inch markings--ha ha. He was eventually "voluntarily" dropped from the class. I seriously doubt that today's shop teachers (for those schools that are still fortunate enough to have a shop class) would be applauded for using such a method. But it was definitely effective for its time.
    My high school shop teacher never had a method like this, but he told us a story how he taught a kid a lesson who didn't listen to rules. This kid was one of the big football kids, thguht he can do whatever, and always broke safety rules regardless the warnings. One day he decided to free hand a board on the table saw, and the teacher saw it, but decided to let it go because he knew what would happen. Board smacked the kid in the face right in front of the class, and he was supposedly dropped the class right after

My high school shop teacher was missing a finger from one hand. He always started a class with, "This is what happens when you ignore the safety rules".

I've nipped a fingertip in my shop twice - once with my jointer (not using a push block) and once on the band saw trying to move a cutoff piece without waiting for the saw to come to a stop. I've never been hurt by a tablesaw, probably because I respect it so much.

Did get smacked in the head by a block of wood that was being machined on my router table. It knocked my hearing protector and safety glasses off my head. I use a faceshield with that machine now.

For me, it's the router. Spinning, sharp, exposed cutter. Can't begin to count the number of times that impatience or lack of focus when using a router has resulted in a near miss or damaged jig / project element.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    My high school shop teacher was missing a finger from one hand. He always started a class with, "This is what happens when you ignore the safety rules".

I've nipped a fingertip in my shop twice - once with my jointer (not using a push block) and once on the band saw trying to move a cutoff piece without waiting for the saw to come to a stop. I've never been hurt by a tablesaw, probably because I respect it so much.

Did get smacked in the head by a block of wood that was being machined on my router table. It knocked my hearing protector and safety glasses off my head. I use a faceshield with that machine now.
    I had a guy in one of my dovetail classes. He had been a shop teacher for many years, and one day cut off his thumb and first finger on the table saw. They re-attached the thumb but the finger was gone.

He told me that he bought a SawStop for his home shop - too late, of course, but better late than never.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My teacher actually lost a fingertip saving another student from cutting theirs on the table saw. This is why I'm cautious on who goes in my shop, I'm even hesitant on letting my father use my equipment. I hate to see someone get hurt in my shop, or see myself getting hurt saving someone else.

Ive also learned some lessons on the importance of "stupid" safety protocols. I used to think it was pointless wearing safety glasses, but I actually got hit in the eye by a nail once, luckily while my safety glasses were on

Research indicated the stationary tool with the most accidents is the table saw; however, it's likely more folks have a table saw than may other tools. I consider one of the most dangerous saws the band saw because there are times one doesn't even know the blades moving. A feeble or tired mind doesn't help in the shop either.

All my machines (table saw, band saw, drill press, shaper, jointer, planer, mortiser and miter saw) are very safe. They all have on/off switches. I always remember that phrase;"Guns don't kill, people do." Woodworking machines don't injure people, people do. The most dangerous tool is that two legged creature that doesn't take the time to figure out how he/she can hurt them self. If you don't have good self preservation instincts than you might hurt yourself.

Blog Entries
    The tool in use at the moment is the most dangerous tool in the shop. I put my hand behind a board that I was drilling a hole in one time. In a moment of distraction, I drilled into my finger. I would not normally consider an electric hand drill to be dangerous.

The utility knife. May not cause the damage as a table saw but a lot more accidents cutting yourself with it.

I once hired a "carpenter" to help me with a quick framing job that was missing fingers on both of his hands. I didn't ask how he lost them, but recall that he teased me for having a sidewinder circular saw while boasting about how efficient his worm-gear saw was. I've heard they can be pretty torque-y and will take off digits in a hurry if you're not paying attention.

The most dangerious tool is the one you least expect it from (and so pay the least attention). I have had accidents on pretty much all my tools (table saw, bandsaw, planer, sander, lathe, drill press) some caused blood others scraed the !@#$ out of me. The user must respect all the tools and pay attention to what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post

A lathe is a a fairly safe but you can get tangled in one, the piece you are turning could explode, you could leave the key in the chuck or have a tool grab in the work.
    A student here was killed when their hair got caught in a lathe. I have never heard of someone dying from a table saw or router accident, not that it couldn't happen.

Well honestly if you have long hair you are supposed to secure them. Any spinning things can catch that hair and kill you (most likely). I was looking at a facebook picture of a luthier and he's carving braces (with a chisel thankfully) with his hair down. I said he should tie it because a spinning tool can grab it and hurt you badly.

I've hit my thumb with a hammer about 900 times. Never had an issue with a table saw.

Therefore the hammer is the most dangerous tool in the shop.

I feel like long hair+ lathe or any spinning tool is just asking for trouble. I've heard of many deaths from lathes catching long hair, and lathes obviously have uses on other purposes too other than woodworking. Like I said, a guy I know saw a girls hair get ripped out of her head on a lathe in high school. That was probably one of the worst pains ever, but she's very fortunate the hair got ripped out rather than her dieing. Even if you have it tied back and tucked in your shirt, the pony tail could probably still sneak out. I guess best option is to tie it up in a messy bun, although it would look pretty gay on guys