Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is it time for a Mac?

This thread is relevant to my interestes....

Big selling point of Apple is simplicity and ease of use. They used to throw "it just works" into that. And although I agree with that still to an extent... it isn't so much for the reasons people think.

Windows is designed to be "compatible" with millions of hardware combinations. Apple.. well, they can release 3 with VERY limited room for upgradability and test those systems to work out "all" of the bugs. (yes, I understand the inherant stability of Unix based software).

The most common issues with windows based computers are not viruses (the uninformed tend to blame everything on viruses) are driver incompatabilities (since they have to make an attempt to work in millions of hardware combinations) and power supply (inconsistent power supply) / memory faults (due to cheap memory).

Simply put, you get what you pay for. I hear all the time of people bragging they got a brand new system with fancy stats for 250 bucks. So either it was on a super sale or "they got what they paid for."

Having built/assembled my own systems since PC Dos on an XT+ machine (23 some odd years ago), I RARELY have any issues with my windows computers as I hand select every component before assembly. They just work.

There is a reason Apple charges 2000+ for even their basic system. It is the same reason my machines cost 1500+ when I build them.

You really do get what you pay for. There is a place for Apple, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, etc. The key is to find what works best for you and research to determine the best you can get with the budget you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Treibs View Post
    There is a reason Apple charges 2000+ for even their basic system. It is the same reason my machines cost 1500+ when I build them.
    $1500 for their basic system? I don't think so. You can get a Mac Mini for $599 and a Macbook Air (laptop) for $899. I've been with PC's since they were invented. I'm done with them. It would take some serious mistakes by Apple to make me ever go back to another Microsoft product.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Treibs View Post
    The most common issues with windows based computers are not viruses (the uninformed tend to blame everything on viruses) are driver incompatabilities (since they have to make an attempt to work in millions of hardware combinations) and power supply (inconsistent power supply) / memory faults (due to cheap memory).
    Apple uses the same components (RAM, hard drives, DC-DC controllers in notebooks, etc.) that everyone else uses. Certainly nothing exotic or especially pricey.

We went Mac at our house in January 2012 after we liked the experiences we had with our iPads and iPhones. Bought two Macbook Pros for my wife and I as we both seem to be on the computer at the same time at night working from home or doing household bill paying, web surfing and email. Have also added the Apple Airport Router and plugged in a 2 TB HD as a backup and as a hub to plug two shared printers on the network into as well as two Apple TV units to allow streaming into the home tv's. We have been very happy and won't go back to Windows. I have Parallels on my Mac to VPN into work and for a few applications that did not support Mac OSX, but in the last two years I have almost stopped using that too as most software platforms support Macs. It is more of an upfront investment, but low aggravation and just works. My next machine will be a macbook air with the SSD for fast boot ups and portability. I do 75% of my home computer work in my comfy chair with my macbook on my lap, even with a dedicated home office.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

And I am looking forward to all the new features that will allow my iMac and MacPro to interface with my iPad and iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    And I am looking forward to all the new features that will allow my iMac and MacPro to interface with my iPad and iPhone.
    Yes, there are some very useful things coming next month when the new MacOS release hits in combination with iOS8.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just wish they'd bring back some of the features which they left behind:

- Display PostScript
    - nxhosting (ability to remotely run apps on other machines, interleaving the windows w/ apps on the current one)
    - system-level PANTONE colour-licensing
    - respositionable and tear-off menus, pop-up main menus (makes a lot of sense on large displays)
    - Inspector options for folders when viewing in Miller-column browser mode allowing for persistent customization of sorting
    - some sort of control for the Sidebar allowing one to determine how many items are showing (I miss the drawbar for hiding stuff when it was on the Shelf)
    - all apps being written in the same (Objective-C, NeXT/OPENstep Frameworks) toolkit
    - top-menu level Print, Hide, Quit and Services --- esp. the latter

I have to admit I find it really handy to be able to leave my phone in my office on the charger and be able to answer the phone on my iPad in the shop. Both of my daughters have already received the new iPhone 6 and the new camera can pretty much take the place of a standard camera in picture quality. I'm not sure that it will take the place of a digital SLR yet but it maybe down the road it could happen.

Waiting on Yosemite for the iMac now

You know after reading all these posts, I purchased a new laptop. Works great and seemed the right time to give the Pismo built in 1999 a break. At this rate, I'll need another new one in 2029. Sure complained about the 1K the Pismo costs me back in the day, but didn't blink at the price of this new model with Retina display.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    You know after reading all these posts, I purchased a new laptop. Works great and seemed the right time to give the Pismo built in 1999 a break. At this rate, I'll need another new one in 2029. Sure complained about the 1K the Pismo costs me back in the day, but didn't blink at the price of this new model with Retina display.
    Yea...that was a good, long life for that old machine! I love the Retina display on my 13" MBPr, but I will readily admit that when I'm traveling and using only the small screen I need to use my reading glasses for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea...that was a good, long life for that old machine! I love the Retina display on my 13" MBPr, but I will readily admit that when I'm traveling and using only the small screen I need to use my reading glasses for sure!
    WAS a good life? Heck, I still use it as my primary travel computer. No one will want to steal it because of its bulk and weight. I don't want to prematurely get rid of the old girl as lots of life left in her. I tend to like old tools and things; fortunately so does my wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Apple uses the same components (RAM, hard drives, DC-DC controllers in notebooks, etc.) that everyone else uses. Certainly nothing exotic or especially pricey.
    The point is that Apple has near absolute control over their hardware thus minimizing the number of drivers required. Windows has to run on any of thousands of models of PCs currently on the market.

There are more drivers than you'd think --- look at the success of the OSX86 project.

The big thing is there are nice techniques for polling the hardware and only loading the drivers which are needed.

Apple also has the advantage of having the cash to fund manufacturers building infrastructure and as a condition of doing so, get a period of exclusivity on the production.