Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a Mac?

Is it time for a Mac?

I've had enough of the trovi takeovers on my computer [not really good with them] and all the constant updates every other hour. I have been using Windows started with 3.1, 95, on and on ad nauseum to now Windows 7. All my software is for Windows. BUT, if what I understand is right???, I can switch to a Mac and not have all the virus threats, updates and such?

Is this true? If so, the, I'm going to bite the bullet and switch.
    To Mac users: I thinking mac pro, is there anything I need to know?

All I do is simple word processing, some blog reads and web browsings. Thanks for any help. lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post
    I've had enough of the trovi takeovers on my computer [not really good with them] and all the constant updates every other hour. I have been using Windows started with 3.1, 95, on and on ad nauseum to now Windows 7. All my software is for Windows. BUT, if what I understand is right???, I can switch to a Mac and not have all the virus threats, updates and such?

Is this true? If so, the, I'm going to bite the bullet and switch.
    To Mac users: I thinking mac pro, is there anything I need to know?

All I do is simple word processing, some blog reads and web browsings. Thanks for any help. lewis
    yes you can buy a mac of +$2000 or you can load linux mint, for free, and enjoy the virus resistant quality of linux. linux mint, IMHO, is one of the best. It has an "MS office equivalent" suite as well called libre office.

Apple's OS was nicer back when it was NeXT/OPENstep.

One option is to purchase a copy of Parallels (or use Wine) to run your Windows software in a virtual partition which you can readily scrub free of viruses (you can use Wine under Linux as well).

I was actually kind of surprised that the Linux folks didn't make a bigger push when XP was EOL'd.

There are still updates on OS X but few viruses. Of course, that could change any time. Used to be the Apple Store employees would tell you there are no viruses and no need for anti-virus, they aren't allowed to say that any more. But that probably has more to do with legal (the legal dept.) advising against it.

I switched to Mac at home about 5 or 6 years ago. I don't regret it and so glad I did it. It's the simplicity factor. Yes you can get Linux and find lower cost alternatives. You pay more for a Mac and OS X, but you spend your time using it and not fending off viruses or doing seemingly endless updates.

There are many Apple haters and I thought I'd never own an Apple either but Windows drove me to the point of looking for a better alternative. There is a small learning curve but it won't take long to be comfortable with it.

I'm an IT professional and use Windows at work for my primary and use other OS's on servers. I still like coming home to my Mac. It leaves more time for woodworking.

Jim

Our business started in 1988 and went with Mac when we "automated" the accounting shortly thereafter. Back then viruses were not such an issue, and the Mac decision was made based on the easy interface for our offices, and the fact that there became available a first class Mac ready accounting software (MYOB).

We have continued with Mac, and MYOB.

We have limited experience with Windows and other operating systems, but our offices seem comfortable with the Mac system. I read that the Mac is hacked less, but for the moment that has not an issue.

My office uses MacBook Airs with a 27 inch monitor for viewing engineering design files. Also the MacBook Air is light weight and travels well. We reviewed this decision recently, and the MacBook Pro has similar performance capability to the Air, but a significantly better screen clarity. The Pro is a bit bulkier for travel, but the screen clarity may trump all else.

The Mac from which I am typing this response is a Pismo manufactured in 2000. Quite heavy but serves our home well. Our newest Mac is six or seven years old and the main one is now a decade old (we have five). Every once in a while we do an update but it's usually from a third-party software developer that needs to have their software updated. If you do a long-term analysis of the life-expectency and lack of problems, Macs cost far less the PC counterparts. Right now Mac is offering $200 off the prices of machines and $100 coupon if you purchase the computer for college or education. If you like having a CD/DVD slot, just make sure the model you select has one. Good luck with you decision no matter which way you go.

As far as Linux goes, we tried that and it wasn't nearly as easy as it seems. Look up Redhat if you decide to go that way.

I will say I enjoy my Macs but you have to be careful when it comes to software. For example, some of the CAD stuff I have will only run on Windows. And some programs like Quicken for the Mac kinda stink in comparison to the Windows versions.

People will tell you to just run Parallels or Virtual Box so you can run Windows apps on your Mac, if you need Quicken or some other Windows-only app, but that isn't a great solution because you haven't really made things less complicated by switching to the Mac, only MORE complicated.

So make sure you don't need any applications that require Windows, IMHO.

When you say Mac pro...are you talking macbook Pro? Or are you thinking of jumping into the full on mac pro desktop? What are your needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    yes you can buy a mac of +$2000 or you can load linux mint, for free, and enjoy the virus resistant quality of linux. linux mint, IMHO, is one of the best. It has an "MS office equivalent" suite as well called libre office.
    Given that your uses are pretty mainstream and don't require 100% compatibility with MSO files or Adobe stuff, linux mint is a no cost option that runs very well on XP class machines. As Chuck said, it comes with Libre Office and the ability to play flash content 'out of the box'. I suspect it'd print with HP printers as well. All of this from a DVD or USB drive without touching your existing setup. Speed using a 'live USB' is surprisingly close to running Windows from a hard drive. And crapware resistance is similar to Apple. You can create a live USB or DVD using Windows. A live DVD can be created with most DVD burning programs.

Here is one tutorial for USB:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

I use Unetbootin because it runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX and I've used it since I started messing with this stuff.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    The Mac from which I am typing this response is a Pismo manufactured in 2000. Quite heavy but serves our home well. Our newest Mac is six or seven years old and the main one is now a decade old (we have five). Every once in a while we do an update but it's usually from a third-party software developer that needs to have their software updated. If you do a long-term analysis of the life-expectency and lack of problems, Macs cost far less the PC counterparts. Right now Mac is offering $200 off the prices of machines and $100 coupon if you purchase the computer for college or education. If you like having a CD/DVD slot, just make sure the model you select has one. Good luck with you decision no matter which way you go.

As far as Linux goes, we tried that and it wasn't nearly as easy as it seems. Look up Redhat if you decide to go that way.
    Redhat is not an ease-of-use champ though Fedora 20 live USB work pretty well if you're familiar with Gnome 3 desktops. Linux Mint and IME a lesser known distro, solydX or solydK provide a simpler smoother 'out-of-box' experience IMO. Red Hat dominates the commercial sector but those installs are professionally done and administered.

Lewis, I feel your pain. I started on computers when the were attached to mainframes Came up with Vic-20, MS-DOS, Windows, and have been around computers my entire life (my Dad ran a computer room for the military when I was a kid). I finally cracked several years ago and bought a used Mac. I loved it. So much so I started swapping out everything I could at work and home. I couldn't be any happier. All I heard prior to the switch was "mac's get viruses too, you'll see", well, some 3 years later and still nothing to worry about. So that's 3 years of not having to worry or fight about it. I come to work and get things like "My computer is acting funny" and that shoots the day right there. I never have those moments on my computers. Are they perfect? No. Are there some growing pains? Sure. Would I ever go back to Windows at this point in time? Never. And it's nothing "major" that sways me. It's little bitty things like when someone sends you an email that says "Can we meet at 3:00 tomorrow", you just hover over it, it pops up and gives you the option to add that to your calendar. It knows, contextually, what things are, so it shows things like that. If you get an email confirmation something has shipped with a tracking number in it, you hover over it, it asks if you want to track the package and it'll do it. It's just a lot of small details like that that make the user experience less "painful" to use for hours and hours a day. Simple things like built in screen shot capability, build in screen recording, and stuff like that.

I'm sure Windows 8 has some of that in there now, but I've been using them for years now, not waiting for them to come out in some next release.

Windows 8 might be great, I've never used it, other than in Beta, but I'm quite happy with the decision to change over.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Switched to Mac when Windows 8 came out. No regrets. Somehow, I need to know less, to get things done on a Mac.

Thanks fellas for all the input. Some I understand, some's really over my head. Like I wrote, just not that good with computers. But, it seems, Mac's the way to go for me, at this stage in my life. Just last week, I wasted four to six precious hours of my woodworking life trying to get a stupid, annoying, senseless trovi virus off my wife's hp laptop. and it's still very slow. And that was with an expensive bought and paid for "anti" virus". Which for all I know could be more there to these these than most of us know??? I'm hoping to get one during the tax free weekend. Anyways, I hear some sycamore calling! Lewis

I've not had any virus issues in 7 years on an HP laptop. I don't use "paid" antivirus, either. Used to be AVG and now avast or whatever the other free one is on another PC. I guess you could get a mac, but it seems like a heck of a penalty money-wise, when it sounds like a little bit more savvy on a windows machine is all that's needed.

When I bought my last HP laptop, an equivalent Mac was more than three times as expensive.....what a penalty.