Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you tip your oil change guy?

How much do you tip your oil change guy?

I have tipped my oil change crew, at Valvoline, at Christmas. Something nominal ie: $5 bucks, but that's been it. I figured this service was all inclusive so I don't tip at a regular oil change . My daughter took her car in yesterday for an oil change and the service guy actually asked her for a tip. Maybe its just this guy working the customers or maybe its typical for them to get tips??? Like I said, I didn't think it was like tipping your waitress or the valet parking guy. Maybe I'm off base. Do you folks tip your oil change guy? If so, how much?? Thanks

I've never tipped for any car service.

are you aware how much the grease monkey made when he/she change the oil

I go to an independent mechanic.

He builds profit into the bill.

It makes sense to tip someone who you depend on.
    For me, that's the trash collector - Christmas and July 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I have tipped my oil change crew, at Valvoline, at Christmas. Something nominal ie: $5 bucks, but that's been it. I figured this service was all inclusive so I don't tip at a regular oil change . My daughter took her car in yesterday for an oil change and the service guy actually asked her for a tip. Maybe its just this guy working the customers or maybe its typical for them to get tips??? Like I said, I didn't think it was like tipping your waitress or the valet parking guy. Maybe I'm off base. Do you folks tip your oil change guy? If so, how much?? Thanks
    I never tip for car service since they build their tip into the bill.

Hmmm...I never get a tip when I change the wife's oil. Gonna have to talk to her about that.

All kidding aside, if he asked me for a tip, I would have told him to buy low and sell high and then find another place to have my oil changed cause next time he may forget to tighten the filter tight.

By the way I have changed my own oil for 52 years.

George

i should tip myself by buying more tools...

ML
    When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

My daughter didn't tip the guy either. She thought it was strange the guy asked. This time she happened to be paying with cash instead of credit.

I only tip the guy/gal drying my car at the car wash.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Wow, that's rude to ask. I've never heard of tipping any sort of auto service worker except for when gas stations had full-service pumps (which I always avoided--I'm not old enough to remember that not being an option). That's not to say you can't or shouldn't tip one of them if you like the way they treated you. But, hey, I try to avoid mechanics, doing most work on my vehicles myself. An oil change is about as easy as it gets, and yet I've known several people who didn't get any oil put in their cars when their oil was "changed"...oops.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Absolutely not. Surprised the dude would suggest it. Probably thought you daughter was easy prey. Personally, I would swing by to talk to the owner.
    also, I would not go back tere.

I changed the oil in LOML's Trailblazer & my Suburban tonight, nobody gave me a tip.....

Ed

My tip is to find another place for an oil change. I personally think we are getting "tip" crazy. It seems like wherever I go, people have a tip basket or box right in plane view. About 40 years ago, I worked part time at a golf course tending bar. There were many times that we hustled like crazy to supply beverages for thirsty customers. If I received $.15 in tips for the night, that was about it. Now, if you have a drink at a bar before dinner, it almost seems mandatory to leave a buck or two every time you order a beverage. We went to the state fair last August and I went to the men's room to use the facilities. There was a guy in there who pulled paper toweling out of a dispenser and handed it to people and expected a tip. I think I am capable of operating the dispenser by myself. I don't want to sound like a Scrooge as I do tip waitresses generously when they do an good job. I know they don't get paid a lot so tipping is a necessary part of their income. (I wonder how much gets reported

No tip for that guy!! If anyone is bold enough to ask, hey probably won't get it. For me, it's because I think I want to give it. Not because someone asks... Pretty rude dude.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

It would never occur to me to tip a service technician of any kind unless s/he went above and beyond.

Here's some thoughts on the subject.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey