Thread: A Rabbet Plan, New to Me

Smile A Rabbet Plan, New to Me

While wandering through some antique shops in Lancaster Co., PA I saw a number of interesting tools, mostly planes. This one was enticed to follow me home, for $12. It is a Sandusky Tool Co. skewed rabbet plane, 1 in. wide. It looked in pretty good condition, so I went for it. The first several pictures show it with only a light cleaning (wiped down with a wet paper towel, and dried). I haven't found a way to date it, but I suspect it is from near the end of Sandusky's life, 1926. The body, wedge, and fit of the blade all looked good. The blade had several spots of pitting, but not into the cutting area of the blade. It definitely has been used, but not a lot, and looks to have been used by someone that knew how to use and care for it. An internet search on Sandusky Tool Co. disclosed they had their wooden planes made by prisoners, via a contract. The company name is stamped in a double curve with a line below it. There is also a model no. (?) 146 stamped on the front.

Once I got it into the shop I found a couple more spots of rust, but nothing that couldn't be cleaned up to use. The body still looked good, no warping, twist, splits or anything. The wedge was very solid and fits nicely. The biggest problem was the sole. It was flat and not twisted, but the back part, from the blade back was almost 1/32 lower than the front. That was quickly fixed with some sandpaper on a flat surface. Next was some light sanding of the rest of the body and wedge to clean them a bit. Then a liberal application of blo.

The blade cleaned up and sharpen pretty quickly. It had a micro bevel and the side was beveled, so those were crisped up also.

On to a test rabbet. It worked better than I did. Need to tune up the operator. The blade is a little out of square with the bottom of the plane; not too badly and is usable as is, but I'll try to square that up. As the picture shows, it can produce nice curlies, and it is faster than my Stanley 78 rabbet plane, and easier to keep the plane cutting parallel to the surface than the Stanley. Fortunately I had used a similar plane at a class on making moldings at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking last year, so I wasn't a complete newbie at using this type of plane.

I'm happy with this latest acquisition.
    IMG_0386a.jpgIMG_0387a.jpgIMG_0388a.jpgIMG_0390a.JPG

Thanks for posting.
    I have the same plane I picked up at an antique store. Think I gave around $12 or $15.
    Have not cleaned it up yet. Have to admit I am not too sure how to use it without a fence to start your cut.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Don't take me for an expert, but the way I was shown was to first use a marking gauge to score a fairly deep line at the edge of the rabbet. Then tip the plane a little bit into the scored line and run a couple of passes down the length. That makes enough of an edge that it will guide the plane for the next couple of careful passes. Once the wall is established, it guides the plane - of course you need to keep lateral pressure on to keep the plane against the wall.

I'll bet some better comments will come; then I'll learn.

I havent been to Lancaster, PA since I went to college there (F&M). Maybe I should take a trip back to check out the shops.

Take a moment or 2 to view this video on using a rabbet plane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNibpT33FTI
    It breaks it down to a pretty simple procedure-just need to practice it.

That is a good video. Mark is the one that taught the class where I was introduced to wooden molding planes, including the rabbet plane. The planes he makes are better than the one I picked up, but they are the same design. There is a need to practice running these planes, and it is better on nice straight grain wood, without knots.

Randy, thanks for posting the link.