Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying our first laser Shenhui/Trimuph/Trotec

Buying our first laser Shenhui/Trimuph/Trotec

Hi All, We are new to this forum hubby and I work with wood and I specifically work with leather. Until now I have been outsourcing my laser cutting. We now want to purchase our own.

We have been looking at The Shenhui and Triumph machines in the 600 x 900 size. We also visited our local trotec this week and tested a speedy 300. Heres were we are stuck in AUS Trotec are super expensive i mean 30,000 AUD for a second hand speedy 300 where a shenhui can be made and delievered for 3600 USD.

I have been reading all the threads in this forum and it appears alot of you have the shenhui machines. What have been the biggest problems you have encountered. What mods are worth it? Can you plug and play straight from the crate or do they always require some fixes before use?

when it comes to the trotec honestly we just dont have the money. We understand it is a superior machine with its ceramic tubes and air cooling system. The support here in AUS is good to they come out install the machine and train you how to use it. But is all that really make the price 10x more than a chinese laser?

What are we doing with it primarily the machine will be for cutting and engraving leather of thicknesses no larger than 2mm.
    There may be small wood and acrylic jobs for making display units but that is very minor.
    I need to be able to cut the leather in one pass due to the organic nature of the material.

Hubby is very mechanically minded and I am already drawing my designs in auto cad so when it comes to software we are sorted to an extent.

I understand it takes time to learn these machines but are we talking days, weeks or months?

Through reading the laser threads i have figured out that we must order the CW5000 water chiller and make sure the machin has a reci tube. The shenhui people say they use the better imported lenses I really have no idea about this one.

We are ready to buy just need some opinions to make sure we are making the right decision.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Adam and Bec

Blog Entries
    Nutshell? If this is more of a hobby, a Chinese machine is likely the best financial risk vs reward. If this is a proper business where you count on your machines for your livelihood, a Trotec is worth its weight in gold. You will spend more of your time fighting with mechanical/electrical/software issues on the Chinese system compared to the Trotec, but that's the risk versus reward tradeoff you make.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Do you have photos of the outsourced work? Do you think you will raster engrave or vector cut more?

Hi Bec;
    I implore you to read thoroughly the "Chinese Laser Purchase" sticky at the top of the threads on this forum. From that you will get a very good sense of the difference between the Chinese machines and the "mainline" units. The most important thing is defining the majority of your workload and understanding the choices available to accomplish the tasks. You don't need a top of the line machine if you are not going to do very fine engraving and volume thruput is not a major issue.
    The Chinese vs Mainline pros and cons have been discussed and beaten to death on this forum. A search will provide you with more than enough info to make a qualified decision.
    Good Luck
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Sounds like you've already made the decision, you said you couldn't afford the Trotec.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Hi Adam and Bec,

I have a Shenhui 900 x 600, 80W machine (RECI) and I cut/engrave wood and leather on it to make products that I sell on ETSY. The Shenhui machine has served me very well and its price allowed me to start this business. You should order at least an 80W machine, CW5000 or CW5200 Chiller, spare power supply and lenses. No need to get a Auto Focus system but you must get a motorized table.
    The issue that I have with my machine is that the size it cuts across the table are not consistant and accurate. However, for the type of work that I do, its not a problem for me.
    Cutting and Engraving leather on the laser is fantastic except for the smell that it generates. You will need to exhaust everything out of your shop/basement or whever you will keep your laser.
    Knowing AutoCAD is good but knowing CorelDraw is even better for this business.

Good luck to both of you. I highly recommend getting a laser - whichever you can afford.
    Regards
    Khalid
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

Blog Entries
    Khalid,

Just curious. You mentioned "that the size it cuts across the table are not consistant and accurate" ? I take that to mean if you are cutting a line that goes fully across your available engraving area, 900x600, that it would vary along that length? Is that a fault in the machine? Or have you just not had the need to sit down and adjust things to correct this?

Dave

900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

8. Hi, I have a Chinese laser,6090, a real work horse. When I got it I checked everything, loose wiring,read the chinglish untill I had it right, measured the distance on the x axis rail to the top of the honeycomb table on all 4 corners and middle,found it was out by 10 mm on one side and 6mm on the end of the y axis travel.easy fix to level table and added more supports to the underside of the honey comb table. I have not had any trouble with this machine,just a sharp learning curve.the machine is 80 watt with up and down table and c5000 chiller. I added 3 computer fans as seen here on sawmill creek to the front of the machine,threw away the exhaust pipe supplied and fitted PVC water drain pipe. I also discarded the auto focus. The machine has been happily working doing house signs on merbau wood and the odd cutting and lots of engraving on birch 5 ply , iron bark and trying every other wood in between, with some glass engraving thrown in.results are great,after you get the hang of it. Good luck.

Here is a picture of the work I will be doing. Mainly cutting. There will be a small a mount of engraving for branding. I have noticed lots of people use. Corel I was going to try and get away with what I have hear before investing in another program.

i was thinking the 80w reci with cw5000 cooler and 600x900 table would be a great place to start. I will order extra lenses and a extra power supply Is a good idea.

I noticed lots of comments about the auto focus failing and people using focus sticks instead. Is it best just to do that from the start?

I want to take this chance to say thank you. This forum has been my go to place for info. Honest opinions lots of options and things to consider

image.jpg

Bec
    this looks like your cutting 3 to 5 oz veg tan leather . A 900x600 mm 60 watt Chinese machine will do this no problem for you. It will even cut out all the stitching holes. Plus a 60 watt machine will cut 1/4 Baltic Birch, acrylic with out difficulty .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    Hi Bec;
    I implore you to read thoroughly the "Chinese Laser Purchase" sticky at the top of the threads on this forum. From that you will get a very good sense of the difference between the Chinese machines and the "mainline" units. The most important thing is defining the majority of your workload and understanding the choices available to accomplish the tasks. You don't need a top of the line machine if you are not going to do very fine engraving and volume thruput is not a major issue.
    The Chinese vs Mainline pros and cons have been discussed and beaten to death on this forum. A search will provide you with more than enough info to make a qualified decision.
    Good Luck
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    Thanks George I have been trawlling that thread and it has been HUGELY helpful. Thanks.

Hi Bert, Yes I am cutting 1.1mm veg tan here but I also want to eventually be able to cut some thicker options I have some 5-7mm thick belting here that I send out to get cut at the moment and it would be super helpful to be able to do it at home. Its not alway veg tan either sometime its hat splits or waxed buffalo all depends what looks awesome at my suppliers

Blog Entries
    Waxing a buffalo sounds mighty tricky to me! Be careful! <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post

Dave
    You crack me up LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post

Dave
    Waxing them isn't the problem, it's getting that final shine you can see your face in.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5