Thread: Craigslist Find - Rigid Spindle / Edge Sander

Craigslist Find - Rigid Spindle / Edge Sander

The seller is asking $100. I have not physically looked at it but it looks to be in okay shape but it appears some of the spindles are missing. I likely would not buy if the spindles are truly missing.

Would you buy or would you spend the extra $100 to get the warranty?

Thanks

George

I looked it up on CL and it looks like he might have just used the 2" spindle and kept the others in the original package - and not stored on the front of the machine.
    He might just use the 2" the most and keeps it stored where it's handy to get at.
    It does have the throat inserts though - which is a good thing.

Replacement spindles are available:
    http://www.rakuten.com/prod/ridgid-e...CpMaAmeZ8P8HAQ

They run about $30.00 - give or take.

If you go to Lowes and get a Lowes credit card, Lowes will give you a 5% discount on everything you buy there.
    Open a Home Depot "Orange card" charge account and use that @ HD and tell them to price match the Lowes 5% and they'll do it.
    (or if you don't want to go to all that trouble, just get ahold of me and we can do a "straw purchase" LOL! )

That makes the new one with a lifetime service agreement $189.00 - and the used $100.00 one (assuming it needs spindles) $130.00 - a whole lot closer together in price.

Personally - I'd get a new one.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

It's a pretty simple machine. I don't think you need the warranty.
    I hardly ever use mine.

I have one and like it -- but don't use it often. I'd offer $75 and see what the seller says.

George, I didn't really answer your original question: I believe $100 is a good price - even without a warranty. That is a decent machine for what it does.

I am not sure what 'some of the spindles are missing' means. This machine has one spindle, and several rubber drums that fit over the spindle, and finally sanding sleeves that fit over the rubber drums. You then put a properly sized washer on the spindle and then tighten down a nut that causes the rubber drum to expand and lock the sanding sleeve in place.

If a rubber drum or two is missing I personally think it's ok; I found that I used only the largest or smallest ones most. You can replace the washers easily enough if any are missing, but that locking nut on the top would probably be tricky to source.

The thing that sets the Rigid apart from other SS's is the belt sander attachment. That thing is great. When you switch between the two assemblies, the there's a little fan-blade plastic gear that locks into the spindle and engages the belt sander. That piece can sometimes come off. In short, just try both the belt sander and the individual spindles and make sure everything spins without slippage.

Last, when the drums get worn, the sleeves/belts can ride up. Make sure that when things are locked down, there's no riding.

Anyway, I think this is a pretty low risk purchase. I don't read about many problems with this machine.

I think $100 is a good price only if all the spindles are included. I have one and use it a lot. It is a gem even at the full $200 price at HD. Just remember that it is a lightweight machine with a small motor. Don't push too hard or the motor will overload. The oscillating feature cuts really fast without needing a lot of pressure.

It is worth buying a second set of spindles so you can keep one loaded with fine and coarse sandpaper.

Steve

The seller contacted me. The sander is ~4 yrs old, he purchased it new and hasn't been used in 2 yrs. He lost the drums in his last move so they will need to be replaced.

Still thinking.

George

Blog Entries
    I used mine for years and did use the warranty twice during that time; once for a vibration they could not isolate so they just swapped the whole insides, once for a noise that sounded like a bushing had worn. Dad now has it as it continues to offer great service for a 40lb, $200 machine ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That sander has high ratings from almost everyone who buys one or uses one.

I purchased replacement sleeves at ereplacementparts.com The prices were $1.90, $3.66, $7.75, and $15.43 for the 3/4", 1", 1-1/2," and 2" sleeves. Shipping was around $5.

There may be cheaper sources if you look harder than I did. There is nothing really special about them. They are just 4" long rubber sleeves with a 1/2" hole.

Steve

Wrong thread
    Last edited by George Bokros; 06-29-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.