Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grained chest over drawers

Thanks, and I think the only tortoise shells the guy saw were on the move and didn't have gold leaf under them!

If anyone asks you what type of wood it is, tell them it's a fast growing Amboyna. At a glance it kind of looks like Amboyna. In theater, it was the "30 foot rule".

My Great Grandfather's house, built in 1870, has all the interior woodwork faux grained, as does all the casing in his General Store next door. There were also some pieces of furniture that looked like they were done by the same guy. He did different looking graining on different pieces. The family story was that it was done by a traveling guy that went around doing the graining for a living, and that he stayed in the upstairs room over the store while he was there doing the work. I don't have any pictures on this laptop to post now-sorry.

Tom, I'm not up on exotics and never use them, but I googled amboyna and you are right on. Luck of the brush, I guess...

There are so many interesting topics to study about historical woodworking that one person can't possibly learn them all. It would be nice to see more of this type of stuff.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Great job Zach! I too like your version better. The finish is a bit quieter, which seems to me to fit the piece better.

When I first looked at the original, I thought for a second it was made from stained OSB!

Thought you all might like a look at this now that the finish is complete and the hardware has been installed.

Not too bad for white pine 1x12s, eh?

Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Yours seems a lot more subdued than the original, which imho makes it look more like "real" wood. It ended up with a really nice warm feel to it, pretty nifty for some hardware store pine indeed!!

Love it Zach, I find this type of build very refreshing. Top marks!