Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Bearing 1/8" Roundover Router Bit that projects less than 1/2"

1. Bottom Bearing 1/8" Roundover Router Bit that projects less than 1/2"

Because they say a picture is worth a thousand words...
    _
    That's a Freud brand router bit.
    Often times I have the need to put a 1/8" roundover on 1/2" thick material and, as you can see from the photographs above, the screw holding the bearing on makes the router bit project down from the base about 5/8" overall. For a lot of stuff like this I like to route directly on top of a non-slip mat, but that doesn't work in this case.
    My usual method involves putting something under the 1/2" material to raise it up off the surface or hanging it off the edge of the table. Both methods require clamping, which isn't idea and usually takes longer to position the clamps in just the right place not to interfere than the actual routing! But, I got thinking that maybe someone makes a bottom bearing router bit with with a countersunk hold-on screw? Or maybe there's some better method?
    Well, I guess doing it on the router table would solve the problem... but, I like having a number of routers already setup with dedicated bits for various purposes (ie. round overs, chamfering, flush cutting) that I can grab-and-go without needing to mess around with setting it up each time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't fight it, the table is the way to go. I have the same multiple setups, Tony. I am thinking about putting several of them on a table, so I can have multiple router table setups for the simple stuff that uses bearings. I figure I can get between four and six of the cheapie used routers I have been collecting on one table. I know I will rarely need to use a hand held for these quickie edges.

My secondary plan is to make identical router bases that fit in a benchtop table. Pop one out, insert another and go. I have 6 (I think) identical B&D cheap routers I could use in one benchtop router table, pop out, pop in. Then I could even use a fence if needed, and the routers could be used for hand held also. Right now those routers have flush trim, laminate trim, two roundovers, and two are not being used at the moment.

Maybe I am crazy.....but I have less than $100 in all of them. I also have two real router tables with 7518's in them.

Rick P
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-25-2014 at 3:20 AM.

Typically I use a shaper for stuff like that, but occasionally I use the bench cookies if I just have a small piece to do, and feel to lazy to set up the shaper.

Blog Entries
    Rockler and others sell brass pilot or small scale bits.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-minia...s-1-4-in-shank
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cutters are expendable; so cheap today that they're not worth a re-grind.
    To get you a little less extension:
    Loctite the screw. Then grind 80% of the head off.
    Might buy you an 1/8th".

Tony - I've had the same issues with bearings for years. Kinda like Pat's idea, think I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Cutters are expendable; so cheap today that they're not worth a re-grind.
    To get you a little less extension:
    Loctite the screw. Then grind 80% of the head off.
    Might buy you an 1/8th".
    I have done this more than a few times. I know they make the screws you seek, they also make bearings with a recess to accept a flat hex cap screw that gives you a bottom flush to the bearing, I have a bottom bearing slot cutter that comes that way for retrofitting weather strip grooves, but I can't find a source for such a set up as an aftermarket purchase. My ideal solution? Two vacuum clamps, problem solved. Holds the work down to a bench, gives you bearing clearance, very versatile.

change the socket head screw out for a button head

ML
    When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    That's a Freud brand router bit. Often
    times I have the need to put a 1/8" roundover on....[/indent]
    Looks like it has never touched wood before! Is it new or do you have
    some method of cleaning you can share? I can never get my bits or
    router that clean even using compressed air after each use.

There are shallower bearings. Here are some that are 1/8" : http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5193-ste...hYGhoCWzTw_wcB

bench cookies work to keep your material up off the table and they hold pretty good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    bench cookies work to keep your material up off the table and they hold pretty good
    Jerome hit on my first reaction but, you said you liked to use a mat. I know that I have developed some habits in my methods of work and just stick to them without thinking. Maybe elevating the work is a better idea than modifying/replacing the cutter.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

13. Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    Looks like it has never touched wood before!
    I'm a founding member of the "buy a bit, buy a router" club!
    Yeah, it's a brand new bit and brand new router too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

14. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Don't fight it, the table is the way to go.M
    I like the idea of being able to pop routers in/out of a table... trouble is I have 2 Porter-Cable's #310, 2 DeWalt DWP611, 1 Bosch Colt and 2 of DeWalt's new DWE6000 laminate trimmers that I purchased just this week. I would need to find a way to make a baseplate design that I can use on all the different routers I already have.
    Now, laminate trimmers aren't so expensive that I couldn't just buy about 6 of them of the same model to match... I already have 2, and they're only about $100 bucks each, so it's not going to break the bank by any means. And if it means simplifying things I'm all for that.
    Maybe I'll make a small router table that I can clamp to a bench top... this is turning into a much larger project than I intended, but... I like it! I'm going to have to think about this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I keep various sizes of small roundovers on small routers (laminate trimmers). One hand holds the router and the other handles the workpiece, unless of course it's something small enough to need to be clamped, so that way a thin edge just gets hung off the side of whatever it's being held on top of.