Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How big is your house

We have 2000sft on 2.0 acres. Split entry gambrel with a detached 24' x 26' gambrel garage/barn. We also have a garden shed and a small woodshed. Our lot is heavily wooded with only about half an acre in lawn and some major outcroppings of rock. We bought the house about half built and because we are empty nesters chose to have a half bath with laundry on the first floor and the full bath on the second floor. One of the 3 bedrooms is used as an office/sewing room and the other is a spare for guests and SWMBOs overflow of clothes. My shop is the full basement with 2 double hung windows on each side of the front providing plenty of natural light and access through either the center staircase or a bulkhead in the rear. Occasionally SWMBO talks about a smaller house with more land and fewer neighbors. When we moved here the town was 1800 people and has grown to 5000.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Center hall colonial with north of 3,600 sq. ft. (3 floors), plus basement and detached garage. House is over 100 years old and third floor was originally servant quarters. Just wife and our 14 year old (older two daughters married and off on their own). Over the next few years we will find/build a more energy efficient home, maybe a bit smaller, but with better entertainment room/flow for guests. Also we cover 3 city lots now and we (I) want at least 4 or 5 acres.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I've got about 2,800 sg/ft (1st & 2nd floor and a small loft) and another 1,100 sq/ft in a finished basement. I consider the entire basement finished because even the workshop has paneling. My 3 kids are all grown and moved out and I don't see any more returning to the nest, though two did after their first attempt at independence. It's long past time to move into something smaller. One of those options is a sailboat, but where does the workshop go?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I've got about 2,800 sg/ft (1st & 2nd floor and a small loft) and another 1,100 sq/ft in a finished basement. I consider the entire basement finished because even the workshop has paneling. My 3 kids are all grown and moved out and I don't see any more returning to the nest, though two did after their first attempt at independence. It's long past time to move into something smaller. One of those options is a sailboat, but where does the workshop go?
    The owners of the local Woodcraft live on a sailboat. They rent a small space to pursue their hobbies. He has a shop and she has a painting studio. You might get away with building small things as a neander on the boat, but anything else, ...???
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"