Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How big is your house

How big is your house

I have been following the house thread and was wondering how the size of the houses are around the country. I see some have a house over 2000 sq. ft and they say that is to small for a family of 3 and others have a 1500 sq ft house and a family on 5. I have a 1600 sq ft house and only 1 an 1/2 baths with 2 kids. Grew up in a house 1700 sq ft house there were 8 of us and just 1 and 1/2 baths.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 07-25-2014 at 8:26 AM.

Our last house was about 960 s.f. for a family of 5, but now we're pretty comfortable in about 1900 s.f. (including finished basement in a bi-level), plus a 2-car garage. It's amazing how much and how quickly you can fill up double the space, though. Would I like more space? Sure, but our youngest just turned 13, so, in theory, in about 5 years we'll have a bunch more space...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

2000 sq ft - give or take.
    Me, my wife and our two medium sized dogs are just a bit cramped for space.

My 2.5 car garage/shop is overflowing with stuff. It's impossible to even walk around in it right now, let alone do any work.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

1600 SF finished, plus another 800 SF of semi finished (carpet and heat and always dry, but no ceiling) basement, and a semi-heated garage that never gets below about 45 degrees (makes an ideal shop). Four of us. My wife would love to have a house twice as big. I'd love a donation if she wants to go that way.

Grew up in a 3600 SF house with my parents, and they have two additional freestanding garages, 25x40 with two levels and a second that's 30x40, also two floors. They do most of their living in a fraction of their 3600 sf, a third of it maybe, and they have they second garage because they filled the first one with junk, both floors. It's just the two of them now. I don't know why anyone would want to live with all of that junk.

I'm in the process of buying a house that is 1,300 square feet on the 1st floor and has a 1,300 square foot basement. I live by myself. It is really bigger than I need.

The house has a horrible layout. At least two thirds of the main floor is bedrooms and bathrooms. The master suite is huge. The kitchen is good sized, but there is no separate eating area. The living room isn't a bad size. I'm thinking about removing the walls to the bedroom adjacent to the kitchen to make that the living room and then make the current living room into an eating area.

Our house is 2800 sqft for our family of four. 4 bedroom 2.5 bath.
    It all depends on how you use the space. One of our bedrooms is an exercise room for instance. We have a mudroom, open living room/kitchen space, dining room, and a TV room. We don't need all that space but it's nice to have and real estate is pretty cheap here.

Anyone seen the show Tiny House?

Blog Entries
    Main level is 1,100+ square feet, basement is same with half of that (mostly) finished (working on it). All of it is conditioned, but we can only claim the top 1,100 as livable square footage since the basement is not yet fully finished.

Place we're looking at has 3,700 finished split over two floors, with another 1,800-1,900 in an unfinished basement (but still conditioned). The basement has rough-ins for a bathroom, but other than lighting it's pretty bare... will give me a chance to make my workshop however I want, as well as finish it on my own time.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Our "pre-retirement" home is a 3 BR with a little over 3000 sq ft in a 1-story with finished basement, situated on a third of an acre. Sometime in the next 5 to 10 years, we'd like to find something a little smaller but with more acreage (for garden and horse)...and shop space!

Our house is 1900 s.f. for LOML, myself and two large dogs. We had planned on selling it after I retired and moving into a smaller home somewhere wet & green. Then we started having grandchildren...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    2300 square feet, and where I live that is a palace. Most homes here, due to the high cost of living, have rental units below and owner's home above. I am fortunate to have been a good wheeler-dealer and got a great price so we have the whole house to ourselves. It is made so if you wanted to you could lease the downstairs, but I use the downstairs kitchen as a sharpening station, the living room as a small hand-workshop, and the rest is master bedroom, baby's room, walk-in closet. We were truly blessed to find this house. By the way, you should have seen the realtor's face when I saw that it had a downstairs kitchen and I said, "Oh boy- this is going to be my sharpening station!" He said, "Sharpening station? That's a first."

Next to my house, adjoining my property, is a vacant old Dutch home built from granite stone. It is built as an open floorplan, so it is perfect for a workshop. That is our future plan- to buy it and make a workshop. Also momma gets a nice garden out of the deal.

Blog Entries
    My houe is embarassingly large at 3 story, 3500 sf with three additional decks. Nominally, it is 4 bedroom/5 bath (master bedroom, son's room, guest bedroom (for my parents if needed), and LOML uses one as her studio. The house is only 25' wide. The garage doubles as shop for woodworking and hot metal work. The loft is my office / music studio.

Over the years we have had others live with us and the house works pretty well for this giving everyone a space of their own to avoid conflict. Our property line is 5' from either side of the house so getting along with your neighbors is important. The soil is all sand so we have little landscaping.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

4600sf. I grew up in about 650 so I guess I over compensated! Selling it now however. I really did not anticipate not wanted to climb stairs to a 2nd floor! Going to try and get all first floor next time. Don't need so much to clean either!
    Dennis

Old woodworker, engraver, sometime fisherman (to justify all the tackle I own)
    Saw Stop Professional table saw, Delta drill press, Rikon band saw, Jet lathe, Rigid jointer and planner, and most air, hand tools made!
    Epilog 45 Helix, Trotec Speedy 360, Bengal plotter, Sublimation printer.

Blog Entries
    We are currently in 3400 sf two story - just the two of us and a cat and dog. In Houston, TX so no basement. WAAAY too big. We raised 2 kids in a 3 br 2 bath 1650 sq ft and never felt crowded. We want to down size and will when I retire next year.

Our house is 1150 sq. ft. Raised two girls and sometimes friends of theirs stayed with us. Got along pretty good in this little ole match box. It's paid for, therefore we will stay right here. Besides, I can't leave, my shop is out back!!!!!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Current...err previous...not mine anymore...house--1850 sqft ranch full basement, largeish 2 car attached garage and 1400sqft outbuilding on 10 acres. House we are buying is 2200, 2000, or 1800 depending on whether you believe the realtor, township, or appraiser. Regardless its similar size but most rooms are slightly larger than our current house and it has a 3-car garage. Since its a 2-story basement is significantly smaller, the "outbuilding" is a 12x12 shed, and it sits on 1/3 acre. There's 3 of us and two dogs. We didn't want a huge house and were more concerned with location and being comfortable with the payment.