Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How big is your house

There are several (at least) formulas for stairs. But as In the cases of the French and English examples they give almost
    the same result. There is, or at least was ,a big difference between rules used by architects and country tradesmen. Audels Carpentry books in the earlier editions, defined "cottage stair" as one with a tread of only nine inches.
    I agree the stairs used by the house help and coal shovelers are better than they once were.

132,000 square feet, when the economy tanked we bought an old mall and turned it into a duplex. Yes, we live in the small unit. Some of the stores left stock so that has been a money saver. Sorry, we do not allow old people to jog in the halls!

I've always thought about buying a disused missile silo over there.....lots available from $60k upwards just not so sure about having a 150 foot staircase built

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

And they shall beat their swords into plow shares and remodel their missile silos into living space,or grain storage.

Blog Entries
    There was a time when older high schools were being remodeled to become apartments or condos. They turned out quite well. Enjoy your Mall!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

2600 on the main floor, another 2600'in the full basement, 3 full baths and another 3/4 bath, 2 stall attached garage, 48x90 pole barn /shop/dog kennel, two more 30x60'polebarn out buildings on 55 acres, no nosy neighbors. The wife wants a big deck....
    The new lake home is 1200 with a double garage.
    just the wife and I at home now. I like the lake home better. I'd like to sell the big house and move to the lake, and build a new million square foot shop.
    The Plane Anarchist

My wife and I and our daughter live in an 1800 SF house, with 2 (now deceased) huge kitties. We barely use the finished basement, except for my shop and a room for my model trains. The house is more than large enough.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...originally about 1900 sq feet. The addition ... brought it to about 4250 sq ft.
    Wow.

+1 on the number of bathrooms being a valuable addition.

My home is the typical Southern MD Split foyer with 1400 Square foot up stairs and 1000 down. Down stairs is 1/2 semi finished (still working on it) with a walkout via a sliding glass door. It had a small concrete pad outside of the slider that everything with in 2 steps was down hill. A real problem to mow so we installed a 24 X 40 deck.

The living area upstairs has a lot of waste due to the 6 ft foyer and the stairs. 2 baths (one down stairs) and 3 bedrooms. I built a stand alone 16 X 32 shop/garage with a 10 X 10 roll up door. I use this are as my shop now. No windows because its intended purpose was a machine shop after I shut my business down. Lost interest in mechanical work due to hips and arthritis. Its just the 2 of us now and we are trying my best to get the updates we have dreamed about completed. When we do it maybe time to retire and move LOL.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 07-27-2014 at 7:02 AM.

2500 square feet, including a double garage.

Two adults, two young boys, two dogs.

There are three under-utilized rooms in the house that
    are largely empty on any given day.

We could have easily fit into a much smaller house,
    but those that were available when we bought
    were in rough condition.

The nicely appointed small houses were priced out of our budget.

It's a paradox; there are plenty of poorly designed oversize tract houses
    available on postage stamp sized lots for reasonable money around here.

There are few moderately sized, well built smaller homes on larger lots available.

As previous posters intimated, larger houses tend to gather more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    It's a paradox; there are plenty of poorly designed oversize tract houses
    available on postage stamp sized lots for reasonable money around here.
    Most lots with newer houses tend to have every inch of the width of the lot filled with house if the lots have city sewer. The larger lots are in areas that require septic systems. I really want a smaller house that isn't so old that I will spending all my time fixing issues and having to worry about asbestos. I want to be able to build a large outbuilding down the road, but many lots don't have room on the side of the house for a driveway to garage out back. The house I am working to purchase was built in 1980 so it is new enough to not have lead paint or asbestos. It is also built with modern building techniques.

The old house in NJ was 2100 sq ft on a half acre, four bedrooms for three of us, plus cats. When we moved to Texas, we got a 4100 sq ft, five bedroom house on postage stamp lot. First floor master because of my wife's knee, daughter's room, guest room, my hobby room, wife's hobby room. Daughter has one more year in school, and is engaged. When I retire we will move to be closer to her, wherever she ends up. We have four full bathrooms. One shower has never been used. Guests get a whole bathroom to themselves.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

My wife, dog and I live and work in a 100 year old barn that is over 5,500 SF on an acre (actually the dog doesn't really work that hard). The Barn is 3 stories with lots of stairs to climb. I have been working on the Barn for 33 years and have never had a mortage on it. I have done all the work myself, 90% by myself, including foundations, framing, siding, electrical, plumbing, GWB (hang, tape & skim coat), painting, tile, marble (salvaged from the Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Hi), landscaping and building all the windows. We completed our third kitchen remodel a couple of years ago. It's still not done, kind of my version of the Whinchester House, I need to keep working on it to stay alive.

We bought a house in town on the creek to retire to but both love the Barn and location so much we have been renting it out.

There is a converted barn for sale locally that looks very nicely done from the photos. It has a second floor family room that is about the size of a small gymnasium I swear. I would look at buying it if it wasn't so far from work.

1400 square feet (23x30 attached garage/shop), 3bdrm, 2 bath. Just the two of us. It would be plenty except it would help of it was a bit more open plan and loml really wants a bigger 600ish square feet apparently). Would also be nice to have a big more guest quarters, right now the "guest room" is full of yarn and wool and looms and spinning wheels and.... I'd also (of coarse) like a bigger shop (and loml would like a place inside to park the car).