Has anyone used QCAD or QCAD/CAM?

Right now I've been using AutoSketch, then I save as a DXF and import that into LazyCam, and then run the job in Mach3.

Then I watched a demo of Makercam and while I haven't tried it yet, it seems to feature things that LazyCam can't do, like a step-down feature, and it does tool compensation (which my version of Lazycam doesn't do, I don't know if newer ones do or now).

BUT, Makercam doesn't import DXF. I have a way to convert my DXF to SVG, but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a newer CAD package that can support SVG. My version of AutoSketch is older, and they (Autodesk) don't really support it any more.

So I was doing some googling and found QCAD. Looks pretty decent. They have a free open-source version. But they also have a paid (reasonable) version that does CAM. But I don't know how well it works.

That Makercam supports auto step-down. I've been doing that the hard way in AutoSketch + LazyCam. It would be neat to have a CAD package which would generate some decent gcode for doing 2D work.

So has anyone tried it (QCAD/CAM). Any opinions? Anything else out there at which I should be looking?

BTW, this is for a small desktop CNC router, approx. a 12" square working area.