Thread: Fence to keep rabbits out?

Fence to keep rabbits out?

My wife has a small area in one of her flower beds that seems to be especially attractive to rabbits. They eat everything in her Woodland Garden. We were thinking of putting a low decorative fence around that area. Can rabbits jump a low fence?

Has anyone been successful with a fence. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

They can but they will usually just go somewhere easier.

I have a friend that has a big problem with rabbits coming into the planters around his driveway. He installed a 15" decorative fence at the end and they now go past it to a hillside area where they can eat quite a bit before the damage is noticeable.

His neighbor can't keep them out with a low fence because there is nothing else to eat nearby. They just go over, around, or under the fence.

Rabbits can jump low fences, but I guess that depends upon what your definition of low is. Some can easily jump 12" obstacles. We've had good luck using chicken wire. Then again, we also have 2 barn cats who are very active hunters and seem to have a taste for rabbit. When we moved to the rental property, there was some really cheap "no climb" style fencing around what had been a chicken coop. The gaps were about 2" x 4" rectangles. There were bunny remnants stuck in the fence. Young ones could have made it thru the gaps while larger ones became stuck.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

A Dog is the answer.... when I had a dog, I never saw a rabbit around the house... but doggone now they're everywhere! (pun intended) but it is true.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    A Dog is the answer.... when I had a dog, I never saw a rabbit around the house... but doggone now they're everywhere! (pun intended) but it is true.
    We have a dog and he actively chases the rabbits and they still come into the yard. They seem to know that the dog can't follow them very far with the underground fence.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Same answer as the squirrel repellant thread.... battered, pan fried.

For rabbits I have had good results with Liquid Fence 310 Deer and Rabbit Repellent but it hasn't worked too well with deer. Coyote and Bobcat urine pellets also work but go away quickly with rain or watering.

If you want to use a fence you'll need to go to at least 18 inches high.Chicken wire is an inexpensive option.

Ken

We have had good luck with this type of fencing: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-28-in...71HD/204331903

Though we also have the black netting behind and above that for the deer. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Deer-X-7-...vZc3m1Z1z0vhzf

Rabbits don't seem to want to jump up and chew through the netting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    I'd say a gun is the answer. Once their numbers start to dwindle "word" will get around and they will go elsewhere. Try a little psy ops on them...a head or two on a spike. They will know you are seious.