Thread: Wood ID

Wood ID

Need help identifying this wood. I got a truckload of it, mostly from a crotch slab that was about 14" thick by almost 48" diameter - had to cut it into smaller chunks that I could manage. Has some beautiful red staining running through it. Got a shot of the leaves if that helps with the identification...
    2014-07-25 07.58.42 (Large).jpg2014-07-25 07.58.59 (Large).jpg2014-07-25 07.58.25 (Large).jpg

Acer negundo

Box elder? Cool! Maybe I should go back and get some more...

'flame' box elder. That red is the onset of spalt. You're lucky. It's beautiful turning wood. Just wear nose protection and try not to think about sweaty feet when turning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Just wear nose protection and try not to think about sweaty feet when turning it.
    Ok, you got me... Why do I need to wear nose protection? Hazardous sawdust from box elder?

Haha, sorry! It is not more dangerous than most other woods to my knowledge.

The load of flame box elder I turned stunk pretty bad, though.

Haha thanks... It does have an aroma to it, but I think elm stinks a whole lot more.

Any idea whether I can use DNA to dry this stuff successfully? My attempt to use it on cherry failed miserably...

The red in box elder is not spaulting (Check out Sara Robinson, aka Dr. Spault). It is a bacteria or some thing similar. Spaulting colors are light fast, and the red in the box elder fades to brown. There is a fairly typical sour smell to the box elder. The fungus that causes spaulting is evolved for plant matter, not meat, and won't bother us. There can be a lot of stuff in the soil that is nasty for us.

http://www.northernspalting.com/robinson/

robo hippy

There's a fair amount of info about box elder flaming on my site
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

It probably shows on Paul' site that BE can have top notch figure around crotches and stumps. The stuff finished out almost looks transparent & 3D.

I rough turned a bowl last night from the flame box elder and you all are right - that stuff stinks! But there is some fantastic coloring and figure. Hopefully I can do it justice when I finish it...

Soaking now in DNA and will put it on the shelf to dry for a few weeks.

Wondering whether the red coloring will survive the DNA bath - time will tell, I guess.