Thread: Router table- shop-made dust bucket/dust collection?

Router table- shop-made dust bucket/dust collection?

Greetings all, I am currently finalizing the dust collection of my NYWS inspired router table. I have come up with a concept based on my version of the Incra dust bucket. My intent is to support the router top, right where the router lift/ PC 7518 hangs so It won't sag. Let me know your thoughts...dust bucket front.pdfdust bucket back iso.pdfdust bucket iso.pdf

Also, any experience with 4" connection on the fence? Is it worth the extra sizing required?
    Last edited by Jay Yoder; 07-25-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added pics

Can't address the "sag support" but I can address the dust. I also just completed a "Norm" table with a Jessem Master Fence 2 1/2" hose on top and a 4" port from the rear.of the dust collection portion of the cabinet. Both ports combine to a 6" duct fed by my Clearvue Cyclone. My early experience is no residual dust either on the table top or in the cabinet.I am quite surprised at my results.

I drilled 7 holes, each 1 3/8" in the plexiglass door (three on top and three on the bottom) with a 7th hole as a finger pull. The suction when the cyclone is on makes me really yank on the door to open it.

Thanks for the response Paul. If I understand you did the collection out the bottom with the sloped ledge above the opening? I have a jet DC-1100 so I am sure I won't have as much suction as you, but am guessing if done right it will keep top and bottom clear. I know some folks say the biggest improvement is upgrading the lower port to 4" from the 2-1/2". I am using a Woodcraft 27x42 top and want to make sure it does not sag with the woodpecker lift and 7518.

If i had it to all over again, I would do the drawers with false fronts!

Jay, I am using the sloped edge and the "funnel" shape per Norm. My total dust compartment width is about 2-3 inches narrower and about an 1-2 less in the depth. I did this to accommodate the Jessem 24x32 (nominal) table and their fence mounting system. The height of the compartment has not changed.

Incidentally, Bill Hylton published a great book in 2007 dedicated solely to using router tables. In it he talks about building in supports to prevent sagging as you build. I just got the book (Amazon $19) and I am finding it to be very useful with with crisp writing and good pictures of table operations.