Thread: sliding table saw ?

sliding table saw ?

Can a Incra miter guage be used on a sliding table saw or is the T-slot on a slider something other than 3/4" dimension? Maybe there is a better option that I am not aware of. Thanks in advance for any and all info. I am thinking of a miter guage on the slide itself when the larger cross cut carriage is not on if I am using the correct terminology.

Wayne, the T-slots are generally some metric size so you might or might not be able to find an off-the-shelf gib bar for your Incra. That being said, it is really easy to fabricate gib stock for any slider. I have seen folks use blocks of hardwood, dimensioned on the router table, then a threaded insert epoxied into a hole for the locking bolt. You could use phenolic scrap or aluminum bar stock, too. Lots of possibilities.

Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Wayne,

It probably depends on the slider type. The Mini-Max 5' slider has a T-Slot that is 0.610 inches wide at the narrow part and 1.2 inches wide below that. Mini-Max offers a "small" miter gauge to use when the larger carriage is not in use. However their miter gauge actually attaches to the side of the slider.

Hopefully there is a 3/4 slotted slider out there to make your life easier.

My SAC slider (Italian made) measures 36mm on the bottom, and 17mm on top.

I made an oak bar for the bottom part of the slot, fitting it with a hand plane. Then I excavated a shallow groove for a 3/8" thick miter gauge bar which I screwed to the wood bar. It works and I used it on and off for awhile. The issue is on my slider it can only be inserted from the front because the handle for the sliding carriage interferes with inserting it into the slot from the back side. Also, the T-nut sort of thing that is left in the slot on a slider to reposition the fence is not something you move unless the setup gets out of whack and interferes with things sliding the whole length of the slot.

The small crosscut fence on my Hammer is pretty easy to install. I made some fixtures for the wall so the attachments are hanging on the wall beside the saw, so easy to grab and put on. Takes just a few seconds.

You may be able to adapt the Incra miter gage for use on a slider, but there are advantages to using a fixed miter attachment on the slider wagon...including superior precision...since you are moving the material and wagon through the cut together which allows you to physically clamp the workpiece. (with a clamp or just your hand in a safe way)

Most folks find they change the way they work once they have a slider available...while there is a learning curve, there is a lot to like about using a slide. For example, I NEVER edge joint anymore. I flatten and thickness at the J/P and all my edges are done on the slider with the material safely and securely held down on the wagon as it moves through the cut for a perfectly straight edge that is also perfectly perpendicular to the faces. I even have a parallel cutting jig so I only ever use the rip fence for very narrow rips. All other rip cuts are done using the slider's wagon to move through the cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Grizzly sliding table saw and it came with a miter gauge that mounted in the T slots. I took the T bar and drilled some holes in it and mounted my Incra 1000HD to it, works like a charm.

I installed an Incra fence on my slider using T-nuts and bolts that ride in the slot on the sliding table/wagon. What I did was measure the size of the T-slot, and find a compatible size in the metal working section of the Grizzly catalog. You will need a loose fit, but this is taken up when you tighten the bolt. You could always check with the manufacturer or your machine to see if your saw has the proper hardware available.