Thread: Ohio Tool Co. #81: Updated

Cool Ohio Tool Co. #81: Updated

A while back, picked a Try plane. IMAG0147.jpg wasn't all that bad a shape. Cleaned to old finish off, planed the sole flat. Sharpened the iron up. Gave it an oil finish while the iron was being worked onIMAG0149.jpgBoth eyes had started to seperate, so a bit of glue and a clamp to hold them in place. Got the iron all sharpened up, and tried it outIMAG0155.jpgon some old pineIMAG0157.jpgwasn't too bad, but a bit tough to handle. While researching the plane, found a company that does refurbs for sale. They had an #81, and it had a tall front knob. Ok, drag out the old Craftsman lathe, again. Turned a couple knobs out of Spalted Maple. It was about the right size, and it had just been laying around, gathering dust. Of the two knobs, one wasn't too bad, the other? Not that good. Drilled a hole through the center. Dug up a steel, #6 slotted screw. Installed the knob. Applied an oil finish to try and match existing.IMAG0153.jpgHmm, not too hatefulIMAG0151.jpgNot sure if the grain direction is "correct", can always rotate the knob a wee bitIMAG0152.jpgBefore the finish had been applied, I tried the "new" plane out on some white oak, very easy to use, easy to push along. Shavings almost flew up out of the opening, full width of the board I was jointing. Might just be a "Keeper"?

and photos of them shavingsIMAG0154.jpghad it set a bit deep, re-set it a bit shallowerIMAG0155.jpgThese shavings seemed to just fly straight up out of there, then wrap around anything in their way, like a knob..a wrist....

Very comfy to use, stable on narrow edges. Thanks to a more consistant grip out front... the knob. A little less pressure on the tote, too. Even at the thicker setting, plane was still very easy to push along. Shavings were almost full width of the edge being planed. Once the edge had been jointed, had a full width the entire length of the board. Me Likey!

Not sure why we can't just have a "Like" button. I like you plane. Nice work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Not sure why we can't just have a "Like" button. I like you plane. Nice work.
    This was brought up here years ago, and we decided that we "don't like the like button" idea.

Sure looks like a keeper to me. Woodies are really good jack planes. I have 4 of them. 2 are transitionals, one a German jack and the other is a Steve Knight super duper. I sure do miss Steve Knight's work and planes. I hope he's doing well in the cad operations.

Enjoy the shavings !

Real nice job on that restoration Steve.

As far as like buttons...I agree with Dave...I dislike like buttons...
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Question

One could always "rate" this thread, I suppose...LOL

Anyway, do I use this as a Jointer? Or as a try plane for panel work? 22" long. The Jointer that is in the shop is a 24" long Stanley #31. 2" longer, with an iron that is just an 1/8" wider. Also have a DE6c iron body plane, at 18" long.

Nice stable of long planes?

There IS a Stanley T19, #5-1/2 lurking around, as well. It tends to trail along with the Stanley T17, #5.....

It's a try plane and should be set up as such, but it will edge joint most of the stuff you're likely to use in cabinet sized pieces. It should be able to follow your rough plane and leave an almost finished surface.