Thread: New experimenting with Pearl Ex on a Box Elder Bowl

New experimenting with Pearl Ex on a Box Elder Bowl

I have been using Saran wrap rolled into a cylinder (snipped pthe end and fray the cut off end) to stamp flower patterns on bowls. I used to paint the surface flat black to enhance the dichromic reflection, but the wood would not show through. On this bowl's rim I used the same Saran Wrap technique to twist the black India Ink onto the surface of the rim. The various colors of Pearl Ex were then twisted on the dried ink. Depending on the view point the surface may have black showing or a variety of colors. On the bottom are some larger black twists. I added more black by using an adjustable sprayer to apply a speckle finish on the surface. Reds, blues, greens and white Pearl colors were then twisted onto the surface. The surface may reflect black, colors or even subtle views of the dyed box elder.
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Like the shape along with the bowl detail work but the coloring is just off the charts incredible. WOW

Bob, I'm not generally fond of painted bowls UNLESS you keep some part, like the interior, natural. This bowl has great form and the rim work is exceptional. I'd really want to see the actual bowl to decide on the exterior, but the impression is very good!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Bob, I'm not generally fond of painted bowls UNLESS you keep some part, like the interior, natural. This bowl has great form and the rim work is exceptional. I'd really want to see the actual bowl to decide on the exterior, but the impression is very good!
    I understand the feeling. As i stated I was exploring techniques on a a bowl that I had turned some months ago and didn't really like the dye job, especially on the bottom. The fun part of the Pearl Ex is how the light changes what you see from different perspectives. From one view it can it is like looking at metal. Turn it a little and one sees black and some of the wood showing. Thats the fun of dichromic powders. Thanks for the comment and all that you share here at the creek.

5. Bob, I think this is just outstanding, I love your technique around the rim and the bowl center is a beautiful metallic copper like color which would be so hard to duplicate. You made a one of a kind piece here that people would be fighting over.

Quote Originally Posted by jwjerry w kowalski View Post
    Bob, I think this is just outstanding, I love your technique around the rim and the bowl center is a beautiful metallic copper like color which would be so hard to duplicate. You made a one of a kind piece here that people would be fighting over.
    My nephew is a fly fisherman and said it he could sell that as a speckle trout bowl. I gave it to his mother and told her it was his. Hope he doesn't try to set a hook in the rim

wow! it looks like a copper bowl with wonderful color changes as it ages...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I like the colors and effect you achieved.

I've experimented with different material around the shop to see what types of effects I could get. I used a similar technique with a acrylic paints to get a reasonable verdigris effect.

Blog Entries
    I'd love to see a video on the process... I get the overall jist of it, but it would make more sense if I saw it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I'd love to see a video on the process... I get the overall jist of it, but it would make more sense if I saw it.
    Dan I'm in Alaska for a cruise, but when I get home I'll see if I can put the a simplified process on video. I wll be at turn on Chicago if any one will be there I'll bring some of the stuff with me and do some hands on.

That's very pleasing! Great attention to details. Definitely an outstanding wood turning job.