Thread: Rusty iron

Rusty iron

So my new shop is built and my tools have all been moved from their last location ... so what is the best way to deal with the rust they have accumulated in the six years they sat there ?

I politely suggest you use the google search function at the top of the page. I think you find lots of information regarding this. I did a quick search for "How to remove rust from tools" and it returned a lot of relevant threads.
    Good luck and congrats on getting the new shop done!

50/50 mix of Auto trans fluid and Acetone. Shake well. Use a sharp 1" chisel to scrape the iron.
    Some will use a sander, which I don't suggest. Also, WD-40 does nothing for rust.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    You can buff the surfaces with a scotchbrite pad in a vibratory sander. Put some light oil on the surface as a lubricant. It makes a mess, but it will clean up the rust. Then either wax your surfaces regularly with Johnson paste wax or use Boeshield T-9 between uses.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

After you get most of the rust off use "Bar Keeper Friend" to remove the rust stains.