Thread: Epilog Customer Service A+

Epilog Customer Service A+

I bought a Mini 18 40 watt machine a little over 3 years ago. I've had to replace 2 tubes which were under warranty. Huge hassle and downtime, but at least it didn't cost an arm and a leg. In April this year the machine stopped working AGAIN and Epilog said it needs a new tube. $1,400 cost, because the warranty ended. I couldn't justify paying that + shipping and customs fees ( I'm in the Philippines ) and kinda gave up on it. Got tired of looking at it sitting there and emailed Epilog and expressed my unhappiness with having to replace 3 tubes in 3 years after all of the great reviews I read about their machines. Was totally shocked when they replied and said they would replace it for free!!! That saves me $1,400 so I'm a "happy" camper. Hopefully it will last a long time.....
    Last edited by bruce edwards; 07-26-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Now, if I did not know Epilogs any better, this would put me off the brand, three tubes in three years (even if they did replace them)....ooops, makes Chinese glass tubes sound ultra reliable
    Heres to hoping that the trend does not continue for you.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

To me it sounds like your laser has a bigger issue for it to go through 3 tubes in 3 years. Yes it is good that Epilog replaced the tubes but one would think they may want to look at it to find out what the problem is. If you have to return a TV 3 time over 3 years would you ask for a new one?
    David
    Epilog Legend 32EX
    China/Australian CNC
    AL-50GA Lathe
    Sherwood Lathe

It causes one to wonder about the Epilog branded tubes. The original Coherent tube in my Mini24 lasted almost 8 years. The first Epilog tube I replaced it with lasted 6 months. I've got my fingers crossed it was just a fluke and that the new one will have better longevity.

Gotta raise a question mark over the power supply with that rate of failure.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Quote Originally Posted by David John Evans View Post
    To me it sounds like your laser has a bigger issue for it to go through 3 tubes in 3 years. Yes it is good that Epilog replaced the tubes but one would think they may want to look at it to find out what the problem is. If you have to return a TV 3 time over 3 years would you ask for a new one?
    David
    Yes I understand that, however being in the Philippines prohibits sending it back for a look. Shipping and customs costs prohibit that option so I'm doing what I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
    It causes one to wonder about the Epilog branded tubes. The original Coherent tube in my Mini24 lasted almost 8 years. The first Epilog tube I replaced it with lasted 6 months. I've got my fingers crossed it was just a fluke and that the new one will have better longevity.
    Yup, I've been wondering for quite awhile. Anyone want to buy my laser with a new tube? hehe

I am surprised that Epilog didn't try to pin down the problem. It seems to me that there must be another issue. I wonder if it could be an environmental thing like too much humidity and condensation.

Anyway, good for Epilog.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Bruce,

Like everyone else ha said, I would be looking for a cause for the problem. 3 tubes in 3 years?

If you can, get more aggressive with Epi tech support and set up a time to go over the machine extensively with them over the phone or Skype. See if you can do video with it so you can compare notes and they can guide you better. The thought of putting a brand new tube in a machine that has already eaten 2 makes me cringe without knowing what caused the first 2 to go.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Could it be that the Philippines use a 2 wire 220 volt system

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Bruce,

Like everyone else ha said, I would be looking for a cause for the problem. 3 tubes in 3 years?

If you can, get more aggressive with Epi tech support and set up a time to go over the machine extensively with them over the phone or Skype. See if you can do video with it so you can compare notes and they can guide you better. The thought of putting a brand new tube in a machine that has already eaten 2 makes me cringe without knowing what caused the first 2 to go.

Dave
    Thanks, I'll try to do that. I don't want the 3rd tube to die.

Right now, Epilog customer service is sitting at a D- with me. I'm now entering my 3rd week of waiting on a quote from tech support on several parts I want to buy from them to refurbish a Mini 24. You'd think they would want to sell parts for a machine that they have already sold, but apparently that isn't the case.

I would look at two things definitely the power I know when I was there it was very questionable and secondly the heat and humidity those three items will kill the tubes I go through a tube about every 18 months because of environmental issues at the store open to the outside elements heat dust and it is just that part of the cost of business. I have closed down that location brought everything home a/c and all. Time will tell how it goes getting ready to replace or upgrade the 40 watt as the tube is going out.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)