Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust

Rust is corrosion. Why would you consider letting your tools corrode and think that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by don wilwol View Post
    Rust is corrosion. Why would you consider letting your tools corrode and think that's ok.
    I agree with Don. Why would you even ask a question like this? Rust on tools is a sign of neglect and no pride of ownership.

Blog Entries
    Besides rust on a tool usually rubs off on the workpiece.

My tools are for using not rusting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    I agree with Don. Why would you even ask a question like this? Rust on tools is a sign of neglect and no pride of ownership.
    I ask questions about everything. I am open minded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I'm a hobbyist woodworker. I'm not a tool collector and I don't rehab tools for fun. If I see a tool on ebay with rust it means more time and effort to rehab and more risk that I might not be able to get it working properly. The result is that, if I bid at all, my bid will be low. If I can pick up a tool an examine it, my bid might go higher. I bid pennies because that's all it's worth to me.

I have a limited amount of time to devote to woodworking. A tool with little or no rust requires less effort to repair and that means I get back to woodworking. While I don't love rusty tools, I don't feel the need to clean up honest patina. I don't care so much that a tool is shiny but that it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Why do woodworkers have such an aversion to rust? Always removing rust, keep from rusting, etc. There are very few places where rust actually affects the performance of a tool, yet if you try to sell a rusty tool on ebay you get pennies on the dollar. Is this somewhere in our genetics from past ancestors or is it a cultural thing or what?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle