Thread: A fun day - 3 wooden molding planes

Red face A fun day - 3 wooden molding planes

Ok, so I continue to collect stuff I dont know how to use yet - guess Ive fallen down the slippery slope further. I know very little about wooden planes but Bickfords book on hollows and rounds got me interested in learning more. I figured if I could buy one hollow, one round and a rabbet plane, then I could try out some of what Bickford teaches. I really didnt want to spend much - this is just an exploration to see if I might like to pursue handmade moldings further in the future, and thereby retire my electric router.

So I dropped by my favorite antique/junk store. She had a very nice no-name rabbett plane. Its an inch wide and the blade is skewed. Theres no maker mark or any identification on it. But shes flat, square and undamaged (no checking, etc). Ill have to read up on how to tune it, but it seemed well worth the $12 I gave her.

I also bought a #4 round, made by Ohio Tool. It has worm marks/grooves on the one face but the sole and mouth are just fine. Gave her $10.

The last was a somewhat ratty #14 hollow, by A. Mathieson and Sons in Glasgow & Edinburgh. The iron says Mathieson on it too. The mouth of this one got worm eaten over the years and shows some checking on each end. The sole looks fine. Again, gave her $10, which I felt was too high but I needed a cheap hollow to try out and my other favorite dealer didnt have any.

I may try to fill the worm holes in the Mathieson with epoxy or some such, just to strengthen the mouth. (I think it will work as is. But its a chance to try a repair technique Ive been pondering with very little risk.) Or, I could just leave as-is and make it a decoration in the shop. Havent decided but would welcome your thoughts and advice there. Also, if anyone knows how I can date a wooden plane, Id appreciate a link or a lesson.

As always, thanks for teaching me. I really am enjoying the hand tool world.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-26-2014 at 3:22 PM. Reason: Cleanup
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you can get the irons sharp, you can probably make something with them. All mine are old ones, and get used on the job matching old moldings. HistoricHousePreservation.com

Thanks Tom. I appreciate that and Ill go look at your site too!

I just took them out to the shop unsharpened. Id heard folks say that wooden planes have a completely different (or even "better") feel than metal ones. But I was amazed how well that rabbet plane fit my hands - very natural, like it belonged there. And just as impressive was that it felt great moving over that scrap I was experimenting on. Man, I may have just discovered a new hand tool addiction. Cant wait to sharpen these up!

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-26-2014 at 3:24 PM. Reason: typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I am following the same path you are with the woodies. I bought a rabbit and a dado plane. I cleaned up the iron on the dado and it cut great. The dado needs to be squared up. I'm still working on the rabbit iron. They are really in tough shape but every day the shine on the back gets a little bigger. I do a little every night.

If these work well I might invest in a few in better condition.
    Don

I always try to buy one with no pitting on the back of the iron, and don't bother with one that looks like it came out of a barn.