Thread: An argument for keeping a clean work surface.....or What are the odds?

An argument for keeping a clean work surface.....or What are the odds?

I am in the process of assembling the cabinet base for a outfeed table for my tablesaw. I dry fit everything, it always looks good but sometimes when I go to assemble after I have applied glue, something has changed. Today was one of those days.

After dryfitting several times, determining the assembly method, predrilling and countersinking holes, I began the process. The last two steps were to put the sides to the glued and screwed inner assembly. The first side went on flawlessly.

When assembling the 2nd side, the shelf that was joined to the other inner panels wasn't lining up with the dado (but it did when I dryfitted it?)so I grabbed my rubber, lead-shot-weighted mallet to persuade it. Lying on the shelf were some 1 5/8" cabinet screws I was using to assemble the cabinet. I swung the mallet and struck the shelf twice rapidly.

What are the odds?

One of the screws, bounced up in the air when I struck the shelf and landed head down.....standing tall and proud.......pointed end up......directly under where my hand was going to be on the 2nd swing....Of course I was watching somewhere else trying to view and coax the shelf into a dado.... I swung the mallet the 2nd time and came down on that screw.....driving the point through my finger nail just above the cuticle.

2nd mistake was to grab that screw and yank it out. I would have done less damage if I had reverse turned it out but....in pain, I wasn't thinking.

Keep a clean work surface guys.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-27-2014 at 1:55 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That sounds painful, Ken. I hope it didn't hit the bone.

*wince*
    I get queasy anytime a woodworking post includes "cuticle" -- the stories always sound painful.

Hope you heal up quick.

Matt

Ouch! Murphy reared his ugly head again! I hope you heal quickly Ken, I'm wincing just thinking about it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ouch. I seem to injure myself at least a little on every project.

Holy weirdness!! Glue ups usually involve some level of strange but I think you might have gone a little over the top in this one. Hope all is well.

I do not want to see you hurt your finger again BUT I want to see this on film , think of the money that this film will earn you

D'oh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry for your injury. I can commiserate about the glue-up, but luckily have not experienced the 2nd part.
    Lori K

Ken,
    Sorry for your injury.

I wonder what the odds are to bounce a 1-5/8 screw and have it land tip up. I would bet it is on the order of 1 in a trillion bounces.

Of course when you apply Murphy (not looking, screw will cause major damage) the odds narrow to 1 in every single time.

-Brian

The thought of this gives me shivers. Speedy recovery, that's some of the worst pain I can think of. I did something simIlar once with a staple hammer tacking on 15# felt, screw has to be even worse. Ouch.

Blog Entries
    It hurts to think about. Quick recovery.

Makes one cringe to even ponder the pain. We all make painful mistakes. Hope you quickly heal.

Gee Ken I'll bet you used some words they taught me in the Marine Corps that are TOS violations here on the Creek.

Heal quickly my friend.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH