Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chair is finished

The Chair is finished

The seat has been woven and now the chair is complete.

For those interested in the weaving process, details are included in the final chapter: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...gTheChair.html

For now, I present the final pictures ..

A comparison with the original chair … I think the weaving creates a lighter feeling. What do you think?

Thank you all for your support and encouragement along this journey.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow! Derek, that came out REALLY nice. Seriously. Very very cool build. Love the Danish cord seat. Fantastic! Certainly a build to be proud of.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Derek:

I can't add anything to what Chris said - superb job!

I love the figure - I am a sucker for figured wood, and the tight curl present is so wonderful to see.

Well done.

Dave B

I like the cord better, too. It's more classic but more appropriately modern at the same time, too.

Very nice and tidy, derek. Perhaps a jarrah mobius strip or klein bottle is next?

That is a very tricky piece of woodworking,Derek!!

I think chair making,especially this type,is one of the most difficult areas of wood working. So many curved parts to fit together. I hope others appreciate the craftsmanship that must go into well executed piece like this. The seat weaving is great,too.

My word echo what everyone else has said. Great execution.

Breathtaking!

Amazing, beautiful work, Derek! Is it as comfortable as it looks?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Hi Joshua

My wife says it is comfortable, and that she could not tell the difference with the original. For myself, I was just relieved that it did not feel uncomfortable! It is the first chair I have made, so I am amazed how well it works. Amazed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow Derek! Thats gorgeous. The joinery looks great and I love the woven seat!
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Great work Derek! This is Tim's Vermeer of woodworking, fun to watch and spectacular result.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian ... I think? My understanding is that Tim failed in his recreation of Vermeer.

Your earlier comments about the use of cane rather than Danish Cord did have me on the verge of reconsidering ... until I recalled my reason for using it - I was not concerned about the final piece being technically correct, but being spiritually correct and aesthetically enjoyable. How do you view the Danish Cord now?

Regards from Perth

Derek

"I think the weaving creates a lighter feeling. What do you think?"
    Yes, it does appear lighter, but I think that is mostly the front rail being visually thinner.

In either form the chair is attractive, your version is spot on.
    Well done!
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Not a backhanded compliment, I thought he did a fine job of recreating the painting, and the same here. I certainly enjoy paper cord, having moller chairs and wishbone chairs.

I think you did a good job with the paper cord and drawing it back away from the front and rear rails is a nod to how wegner did it.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-27-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Great! It is better than the original from grain to the seat to just overall presence. I would welcome it in my home (I always feel like covetous feelings are an indicator of sincere appreciation!). Huzzah!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.