Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chair is finished

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work Derek! It turned out very nicely. Now that you have done it, would you do it again? If you did it again, what would you do differently?

Sometimes, I find these questions to be the most helpful and instructive.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Super. This must give you a great feeling of accomplishment

I find your version far more appealing than the model. The seat treatment spaces harmonize with the open back and you have eliminated
    seeing all that short grain on the front rail.

Blog Entries
    Very nice Derek! Is there a little Tage Frid influence in that chair? I may have read that it was from another design you liked, maybe that maker was influenced by Tage? The design reminds me of Tage's corner chair in his Furniture Making book. Tage's chair is a three legged chair so it has major differences. It looks like Tage's chair has a cushion or wood seat, he used string seats in other chairs he made though. Much of Tage's furniture had a stark modern look. I like the modern influence in the more casual look of Derek's chair.

I think that you are now qualified for your "Bodger" degree.
    Well done for sure.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Mike, the chair is designed by Hans Wegner who was a year older than Tage Frid, but similar to other artist cultures I'm sure that many ideas bounced around among the early Danish modernists. As an aside, these were what influenced Maloofs early work as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Very nice Derek! Is there a little Tage Frid influence in that chair? I may have read that it was from another design you liked, maybe that maker was influenced by Tage? The design reminds me of Tage's corner chair in his Furniture Making book. Tage's chair is a three legged chair so it has major differences. It looks like Tage's chair has a cushion or wood seat, he used string seats in other chairs he made though. Much of Tage's furniture had a stark modern look. I like the modern influence in the more casual look of Derek's chair.
    More likely Frid was influenced by Wegner. Wegner was an incredibly prolific chair designer and builder. Not trying to slight Frid as he was very accomplished. I think of Frid and an educator who made furniture (some very nice furniture indeed). Wegner was a pure chair designer and builder. Much of Wegner's work was done while Tage was focusing on education at Rochester and RISD.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Derek,

Beautiful job on the Chair! I think your choice to go with the corded seat was a good one, more in the spirit of the originals. This photo was taken at the National Museum of Sweden in Stockholm.

Dave in Medford OR

image-1964070272.jpg

Excellent Derek, the final result is something to be very proud of.

I feel about our man Cohen's skillset and output the way
    that Stephen Fry feels about Hugh Laurie.

"Generally, we admire the thing we are not."

Bravo

Nice job Derek. That's one of my favourite chair designs...

Looks great Derek. Excellent craftsmanship on this project. I was curious about the finish. You mentioned it was several coats of Livos wood oil. Is that a tung oil or is it something like Waterlox? The sheen of the finish looks really nice on your Jarrah

Looks fabulous and I also really like the danish cord. Now the only question is: Do you feel a bit presidential when sitting in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QazmVHAO0os

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

That's a great piece, Derek.
    Lori K

Blog Entries
    Ahh, thanks for the info. Brian. I had problems with art history in college too. I do see the strong influence from those Danish modernists in work from guys like Maloof. I will have to look up Hans Wegner's work. I can see the more traditional Irish, Welsh and Windsor influence in there too. I lean a little more towards the traditional but I like a little modern flair.