Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building that Carriage House with basement shop: How to estimate construction cost

Building costs vary a lot by location, as in what state, city. If I were to quote the local prices, sure they would be significantly less than in DC. Local code, permit costs, licensing can add significantly to costs.

oh for...

look, the cost of a building like this is going to be variable on a number of decisions, but let's take a crack at this from a reasonable approach. Keep in mind that I design and therefore estimate the construction cost of bridges rather than houses, but I've done houses before and tend to get things in the ball park.

First, the demo of the old building will probably run you $5k-$10k, depending on how many dumpsters are needed. disposal ususally governs demo costs.

Second, digging out a basement of that size is likely going to run you on the order of $10k, and if you're going to use a concrete floor above to carry vehicular grade loading, you're looking at poured walls, which will likely run you another $10k. I would not be shocked to see a structural floor supported on columns and beams to run you $125-ish per square foot.

third, the cost of the building will be driven by how many posts you can tolerate in the below garage. larger spans cost a lot more to design and build. a good rume of thumb is that double the span requires 4x the materials. I could see a building like this cost $150-$200/SF, as based on the area of the second floor. That front porch over the doors is at least $15k on top of that.

based on those numbers and 1100-ish SF, you're looking at about $140k just to get up out of the ground on a shop floor, and another $180k to finish out the building on top. If you want to save some money, lose the basement. A standard skirt wall footing and concrete slab on grade will save you about $100k.

I recommend you buy a MEANS Residential Construction Cost estimating book, which will help steer you a bit more clearly for all the unit costs.

In my local area, building costs are about 110$ per square foot including a poured concrete basement. As long as the basement is not finished. Also whether the building has a steep roof and cathedral ceilings, dormers etc. A simple building can save a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    In my local area, building costs are about 110$ per square foot including a poured concrete basement. As long as the basement is not finished. Also whether the building has a steep roof and cathedral ceilings, dormers etc. A simple building can save a lot of money.
    basements under living space are completely different animals than basements under vehicular storage space.

Where I live there is a plant that makes prestressed panels. They are 8" thick about 5' wide, and will span about 40'. Some people use the panels for floors in their homes. Also for garages. The basement contractors have 8' forms, so if you want a tall basement wall they will put a board on top of the forms for an extra fee, up to a 2 x 12. You can pour a ledge in the basement so the prestressed panel ends are hidden, and you can use siding to finish the exterior, or just set the panels on top of the basement if you are using brick, just have them cut the panels 4" short so there is a brickledge. Have heard it is a fairly reasonable way to have a concrete floor on your first floor, and basement under the garage. They grout the edges of the panels to keep water from dripping into the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Mark, yours was the response that came closest to addressing my question. I want to get a bit of clarification. You talk about 200-250 and I wonder what that means.

The second floor living space is 1100 sq ft and change. Are you saying that I can build what's pictured for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 x 1100 or about $275,000? Given the extreme price of land in that area, the $275K number isn't that bad.

We are looking at the same sort of house (1100sq feet + 2 car garage + basement) a half hour away at over $500K. If we are going to spend that kind of money, my bride asks, why not build on the kids lot and get the convenience (she really wants to babysit).
    Roger, I apologize for delay in responding, said project has had me covered up other than blip/phone responses and I just sat at the computer for the first time in a couple weeks.

Your question speaks specifically to my point that square foot averages are very dangerous. For instance building a large garage with a room above using a dwelling average can get you close in that you dont have kitchen, bath(s), as in depth a heating system (normally), and so on. I reluctantly use square foot averages to simply get a "go/no-go" from a customer. Its a way for them to say "oh gosh, Im not spending 150k on a garage" or find out if they understand that the level of detail they are looking for is going to cost something.

That said, you have a lot of "detail" in there in just the basement and garage floor alone. That will add immensely to the cost of the structure. Then when you look at the drawing (regardless of someone pooh poohing whatever aesthetic details) you (or at least I) see a level of detail that is simply not a run of the mill structure. May not be a historic reproduction, but its not a spec job either.

While a lot of things with an ancillary structure can reduce the cost (easier mechanicals for instance) other things can bump it.

Just my 02, sorry again for the delay. Havent read the rest of the thread so you may already be moving in!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    oh for...

look, the cost of a building like this is going to be variable on a number of decisions, but let's take a crack at this from a reasonable approach. Keep in mind that I design and therefore estimate the construction cost of bridges rather than houses, but I've done houses before and tend to get things in the ball park.

First, the demo of the old building will probably run you $5k-$10k, depending on how many dumpsters are needed. disposal ususally governs demo costs.

Second, digging out a basement of that size is likely going to run you on the order of $10k, and if you're going to use a concrete floor above to carry vehicular grade loading, you're looking at poured walls, which will likely run you another $10k. I would not be shocked to see a structural floor supported on columns and beams to run you $125-ish per square foot.

third, the cost of the building will be driven by how many posts you can tolerate in the below garage. larger spans cost a lot more to design and build. a good rume of thumb is that double the span requires 4x the materials. I could see a building like this cost $150-$200/SF, as based on the area of the second floor. That front porch over the doors is at least $15k on top of that.

based on those numbers and 1100-ish SF, you're looking at about $140k just to get up out of the ground on a shop floor, and another $180k to finish out the building on top. If you want to save some money, lose the basement. A standard skirt wall footing and concrete slab on grade will save you about $100k.

I recommend you buy a MEANS Residential Construction Cost estimating book, which will help steer you a bit more clearly for all the unit costs.

Super late to reply to the OP but reading through regardless..

As you say, all seat of the pants, but your numbers (knowing fully they are gut shots) are all over the place for me but surely within reason. As you say, completely dependent on location, but for instance your demo and site excavation costs are, for my area, about 4-5x high. The 140K to get out of the ground is through the roof high for my area even with a vehicle rated deck.

I would guess I could be out of the ground with a foundation for 6-10k, then depending on siting, crane, and location issues, have a vehicle rated deck on for no less than 30k.

That said, I dont think I would venture to guess the above ground work to be 180k either (too low) but thats based on my assumption of the drawing.

In the end, I think the 320K number you land on is likely a reasonable and very accurate dart tossed at the wall with a blindfold. My gut feeling is it could go higher but details abound.

I operate in an area where many of the site work issues can be very cost effective (and we do the vast majority of our own sitework other than on very large jobs) so that may skew my perspective. I sure wish I could bill that rate for sitework because its the suckiest part of the project for me!! There is a major sigh of relief on every job when your up and out of the dirt.