Thread: Stanley 51 Question

Stanley 51 Question

Hi,

I have a pair of old Stanley 51 (not 151) spoke shaves I am fixing up to use. One appears older, is black, and is finished. Works great. The other is red, appears newer (mainly because it is red), and I think has some improper screws on it. I would like to replace them with the proper ones if this is the case.

Black has a slotted screw with a special shaped head to hold the cap. The cap fits over the screw head so the cap and blade can be removed without removing the screw. There is a knurled screw for tensioning the cap.

The screws on the black don't fit the red, BTW, the threads are not the same.

Red has two identical screws, chrome-plated brass with big slotted heads and 10-32 threads, 1/2 inch long. The head is too big to fit through the cap, so the screw must be removed to remove the blade. This seems wrong. The fact that the lever cap can only be tensioned with a screwdriver also seems wrong.

Before I go cruising McMaster or placing a WTB ad it would be nice to have confirmation that the screws I am looking for exist, or that perhaps this is a later #51 that was made with lousy parts after Stanley stopped caring about quality and usability.

Any Stanley spoke shave experts out there? Thanks.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Blog Entries
    Dan,

Pictures always help in situations like this.

Are you sure the red shave is a Stanley made product?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here are the pix

Jim, you are probably right about pix. Can't hurt anyhow. The base castings are identical, right down to the tiny 'U' cast into the underside of one of the handles, and both shaves came with Stanley blades (sweetheart in the black). So I'm pretty sure they are both Stanley. Anyway here are the photos, thrilling I know:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Dan D.

Blog Entries
    perhaps this is a later #51 that was made with lousy parts after Stanley stopped caring about quality and usability.
    Perhaps it is one someone replaced the original screws with what they had on hand. There may be evidence of the threads being tapped for the newer screws. I will try to remember to check mine next time I am in the shop. Stanley usually used thread pitches that are not commonly available.

You could try the screws from one shave in the other. Just don't force anything.

The red paint is also likely what was on hand for someone who decided it needed a coat of paint.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks Jim. Already tried to swap screws. They don't match. I will try to look closely tonight to see if the ones in Red (which are now standard 10-32) look like they have been re-tapped.
    -Dan D.

Dan, the screws on the red #51 are binder head pattern, .399" nom dia for #10-32 screws. Round head or pan head pattern is .375" or slightly less in dia. The hole in the cap should be .375" or slightly larger dia, and will allow removal over the round head. McMaster Carr has round head machine screws and knurled head screws in #10-32 in stainless steel which should solve your problem. FYI, a well-stocked hardware store may carry them in "per each" prices.

Blog Entries
    FYI, a well-stocked hardware store may carry them in "per each" prices.
    At one time I lived within a reasonable walking distance to a 'well-stocked' hardware store.

Now it is about a 25 mile round trip to the nearest hardware store. Carful use of a file on a screw is faster and uses less gas than a trip to the hardware store.

Over the years I have built up a stock of useful, and some not so useful, hardware for times when something is needed.

My brother used to buy excess/obsolete inventory from manufacturers and assembly plants when their production lines changed. He would then bag mix it all up and bag it together to sell at swap meets. He always seemed to sell off his hardware grab bags.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Just to confirm what Tom posted my #51 spokeshave has 10-28 threads. Not something most (or any) hardware stores stock.

jtk

Ah yes, Stanley was that kind of guy...

Stanley had company, Walker-Turner used 1/2-24 on a bunch of stuff, try finding that anywhere. I believe I have the world's sole supply of 1/2-24 nuts as I had some custom-made.

But anyway...

Thanks Jim and Tom for the verification. I may just replace the screws to make Red right and pass it on, since the black one is working well. Or maybe I'll hang onto Red for when I don't feel like sharpening Black. Either way I appreciate your time. Love the Creek.
    -Dan D.

Blog Entries
    I may just replace the screws to make Red right and pass it on, since the black one is working well.
    I just recently bought a second #51 spoke shave. It is convenient to have one set for a light cut and one set for a heavier cut.

Having one red and one black would make it easier to remember which is which.

jtk