Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: reading metric tape measure

In my experience, all woodworking (and architectural) measurements are in millimetres. Centimetres are rarely used, and you don't get into metres until you are measuring things that would be expressed in yards in the imperial system (IE, if something is five feet long, you don't state it as "1 yard, 2 feet")
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Cubits, always use cubits....

Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    I think it is also correct that meters and millimeters are wordlwide dominant, whether some of you guys like it or not... ( OMG - here we go again.......)
    No idea what is predominant, but I have been told (with no particular evidence) that metric has greater use, which is against the odds since it was developed by a committee. Now, whenever I have to deal with a spherical cow, I am almost always using MKS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cow).

For the most part, I don't really care other than the fact that most of my expensive measuring equipment is not set for metric.

It is difficult to argue that decimals are just easier to deal with than fractions, especially with large denominators.

It is nice to have both bits for when you need a size that is right between something that you already have. So, if you don't really want to go up 1/64th and the base value is in English measure, the drop to those mm bits (and vice-versa).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    A part of our life is design work for molded plastic components, and for the tooling and fixtures used in their manufacturing. Our customers are scattered around the world and in the US. The metric system predominates throughout (even in the US), and the millimeter (mm) is the unit of choice. The CAD program that we use allows two default units: Inches, or millimeters.

Size wise our projects are not so large so that may be why we all use mm. Probably someone designing a house (or a bridge or a city) would use some other unit. I don't think I have ever seen centimeters or meters used in our world even though injection molds can be several thousand in mm's.
    The reason asking about the metric system, My new position at work will be involved in wiring electric panels for international customers that use the metric system.
    Does it make a difference if we are talking measuring electric cable to length?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    When I was doing architecture in metric, all dimensions on the plans were in MM. Now that I review other plans from around the world, all are still in MM. Even chinese plans use arabic numbering (in MM).

I grew up the son of a scientist and studied chemistry in my undergrad years so metric is pretty second nature to me. It really does make things easier when calculating fundamental equations that represent the physical world.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Someone said centimeters weren't used a lot but I find they are in use all the time. In lots of manuals, usually by bigger companies , things are in millimeters. But in every day use centimeters are common as a scale that is useful in a lot of evey day applications.

Also tape measures are graduated in centimeters and last night we did some actual woodworking, cutting panels and stuff when assembling a cabinet with sliding mirror doors and installing a dishwasher etc., the unit we used where centimeters, we talked about millimeters too when it was suitable (for adjustments less than 1cm).

Centimeters is also the common way to refer to height here, some other countries I think might use meters instead, like in Finland I'd say I am 188cm tall, but in some other country they might say they're 1.88 meters tall. I don't know if anyone uses mm for stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Aspö View Post
    Someone said centimeters weren't used a lot but I find they are in use all the time. In lots of manuals, usually by bigger companies , things are in millimeters. But in every day use centimeters are common as a scale that is useful in a lot of evey day applications.

Also tape measures are graduated in centimeters and last night we did some actual woodworking, cutting panels and stuff when assembling a cabinet with sliding mirror doors and installing a dishwasher etc., the unit we used where centimeters, we talked about millimeters too when it was suitable (for adjustments less than 1cm).

Centimeters is also the common way to refer to height here, some other countries I think might use meters instead, like in Finland I'd say I am 188cm tall, but in some other country they might say they're 1.88 meters tall. I don't know if anyone uses mm for stuff like this.
    Do you use the metric method when you measured the height of a race horse ?
    I prefer the simple method

I work for a German global company, but live in the U.S., and I'll agree with Jason ... You should be more concerned with the risk of misunderstanding the decimal place due to the fact that the U.S. uses the period to indicate decimal place and periods to indicate 1000's ... where much of the rest of the world uses the comma to indicate the decimal place and commas to indicate 1000's.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be any global agreed upon solution to this issue.

The best solution is to try to avoid decimal places all together. So certainly provide 120 mm rather than 1.2 cm, because in Europe that would be written as 1,2 cm.

If you want to provide 120.3 mm, then you really only have two choices - provide "120.3 mm" or 120,3 mm".

I have stopped using thousands separators (commas in the U.S., periods in other places) since they only add to confusion.

I am also careful not to provide three decimal places ... because that can be confused with the thousands separators.

For example "123.456 mm" could be misinterpreted as just over 123 mm OR just just over 100000 mm.

For the value 123.456 mm, I'll convert to a different type of unit to avoid the three decimal places. So 123.456 mm becomes 12.3456 cm ... or even better 123446 um (or micrometers). The typical users will have to do some conversion if you are using micrometers, but they will know exactly what you mean.

Old subject, so I'm not complaining ...just pointing out that in grade school we were told that system was standard in the
    rest of the world. Not true. Some use only pieces of it ,so it's not a metric system it's a metric menu. The English system is at least a true system, have not seen any evidence of anyone insisting on using only sixteenths or eighths.

I don't know about everyone else, but since I was never raised with the metric system, it is hard for me to mentally visualize something given in metric. I would love to adopt the metric system, which I think would be easier in the long run, but I just need to get my head around the mental conversions. Hopefully that makes sense.

With the risk of fueling the discussion, - or just another one in the row, but except for habit, I cannot see what is so difficult with metrics. It is not a menu, but a complete system, as it encompasses all types of measurements, and everything is based on the powers of ten. This is also the reason it has become the basis for the SI system which rules the science world. It is also a fact that even the US is "metricated" in lot of different areas.

It is quite correct that is was designed by a committe, albeit a scientific one, with the mandate to unify a totally bewildering mess of similar units with different values, hampering both trade and work. These different values of units were also to a large extent the basis for direct fraud. Even over here, 100 years ago or thereabouts, there were 3 different "thumbs", as was the local name of the unit. There were norwegian and danish "thumbs", and british inches, - and there was actually also a swedish version. Builders of historic boats still use the old thumbs and alens, as they are the very basis for the proportional system used in building these boats. Old geezers like me still uses 2x4s for simple timber framing, and not 48x96 (mm) which is the modern version for dimensioned lumber, and to our parent generation a 2x4 was really a 2x4..

Looking at the british system around 1800 or so, an inch was not the same inch all over, and a pound didn't weigh the same throughout the country.
    Add to that all the different divisors used in lenght, volume and weight, this overall system, or lack thereof, looks by far a lot more like the political commitee which was given the task of building a horse..... and alas, that's when we got the camel....... < Ducking and running... >

( Sorry guys - I just could not resist... )
    Last edited by Halgeir Wold; 07-29-2014 at 6:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I don't know what this means?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    I work for a German global company, but live in the U.S., and I'll agree with Jason ... You should be more concerned with the risk of misunderstanding the decimal place due to the fact that the U.S. uses the period to indicate decimal place and periods to indicate 1000's ... where much of the rest of the world uses the comma to indicate the decimal place and commas to indicate 1000's.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be any global agreed upon solution to this issue.

The best solution is to try to avoid decimal places all together. So certainly provide 120 mm rather than 1.2 cm, because in Europe that would be written as 1,2 cm.

If you want to provide 120.3 mm, then you really only have two choices - provide "120.3 mm" or 120,3 mm".

I have stopped using thousands separators (commas in the U.S., periods in other places) since they only add to confusion.

I am also careful not to provide three decimal places ... because that can be confused with the thousands separators.

For example "123.456 mm" could be misinterpreted as just over 123 mm OR just just over 100000 mm.

For the value 123.456 mm, I'll convert to a different type of unit to avoid the three decimal places. So 123.456 mm becomes 12.3456 cm ... or even better 123446 um (or micrometers). The typical users will have to do some conversion if you are using micrometers, but they will know exactly what you mean.
    Honestly it's never been an issue for me, context helps me determine if the dot or comma is meant as a decimal or not most of the time.

Metric is definitely a complete system. The metric systems formal name is the international system of units(SI comes from the French) The foundation is seven base units that everything else is derived from. Meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, candela

Also do realize that the pound and the yard have been based on metric standards since before 1893 by the Mendenhall order. The NIST we page has a history of measurement in the US.

As for visualizing metric units, cut a couple of scrap pieces to 5, 10, 20 cm etc lengths and label them. Having physical artifacts helps getting used to the sizes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    That's easy since a hand is 1.016 decimeters.

For our friends from places other than the former British empire, a hand is a traditional English unit of measure used to measure how tall a horse is. A hand is 4 inches or 1/3 of a foot, or 4 4/7 fingers, or 5 1/3 digits, or 12 barleycorns or 48 poppy seeds or 48 lines or 1/9 of a yard. In metric the hand would be 0.1016 meters, or 1.016 decimeters or 10.16 centimeters or 101.6 millimeters. So which is the simpler system? I think it is familiarity not simplicity that folks are comparing on.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    That's easy since a hand is 1.016 decimeters.

For our friends from places other than the former British empire, a hand is a traditional English unit of measure used to measure how tall a horse is. A hand is 4 inches or 1/3 of a foot, or 4 4/7 fingers, or 5 1/3 digits, or 12 barleycorns or 48 poppy seeds or 48 lines or 1/9 of a yard. In metric the hand would be 0.1016 meters, or 1.016 decimeters or 10.16 centimeters or 101.6 millimeters. So which is the simpler system? I think it is familiarity not simplicity that folks are comparing on.

John
    thank you JOHN for the example
    if you are familiar with a certain method then it become a habit to follow for the same results time after time SO IT became simple