Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

28 July 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    The construction project is continuing to make progress but slower than I had planned. The weather has been so hot and humid that the sheetrock mud takes about 2 days to dry well enough for the finishers to sand and apply the next coat.
    We are on the new service to the house now and they stated that I had everything exactly as they wanted it...so I didn't get turned down for service hook up. Yea.!!!!!!!

This week, cabinets go in and the sheetrock gets finished, primer and paint go on this week as well. A lot to get done this week..but....the weather is going to be a bit cooler and making it easier to work. I still have a bit of vinyl siding left to do as well as a tiny bit of metal for the fascia as my son and I finished the soffit work on Saturday.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sounds like things are moving along nicely, Dennis.

In addition to the normal equestrian activities, lawn mowing, etc., I got my latest tack trunk commission through trim and started on the lid by milling up some walnut stock before I ran out of steam for the weekend. This particular project was the first time I sprayed dye and it won't be the last. (to help keep the cost down for the client, I used nice, but relatively inexpensive birch plywood for the carcass and needed to add color before installing the walnut trim)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    This weekend I smoked 8 lbs of pork for pulled pork sandwiches. They were delicious. No shop time but I made a couple of rubber molds for some shackles I will be casting. After they were complete, I cuts the rubber in two and tested them by injecting wax. I found some imperfections so I did some refinement on the sprue negative after which I got good waxes. I am ready to invest the two on Wednesday and will cast the following Wednesday.

I am back to work today after my short-term disability. We'll see how it goes...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Nothing fun for me. I have been working on installing tile in our master bath shower stall. Walls, celing, and floor.
    Found out the hard way that the fancy 2"x2" porcelain tile my wife wanted for the shower floor can't be cut using the manual tile cutter so i'll be going out to get a wet saw from HF during my lunch today. hopefully I can get the ~50 cuts done tonight after work.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

It was a beautiful Pacific Northwest summer weekend (we only get 3 weeks worth each year, so you have to make the most of it), so I travelled out to Edensaw Woods, Ltd., in Port Townsend, WA to pick up some maple for my shop cabinet door and drawer frames and some steamed E. beech for a future coffee table project. You know that saying about the trip being in the journey and not the destination? Well, I got the best of both!

I finished it up--a walnut rendition of a Stickley chair.
    Chair Complete - 600.jpg

The perfectionist in me wants every project to be flawless, which of course never happens, but this first attempt at a chair turned out pretty well. The lovely lady for whom it was made is happy, so it's a success.
    Chuck Taylor

I finished an over-the-john cabinet for our daughter's birthday present. She wanted a very specific shade of Benjamin Moore yellow so I sprayed Advance with my HVLP...thinned 10%. Advance isn't spec'd for HVLP but it lays down very nice. Topped with 2 coats GF Enduro clear poly for durability.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I scored a very nice deal on a Gerstner 7-drawer machinists box, Festool 1400, Veritas making guage, a moisture meter, and a few other small items.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    I scored a very nice deal on a Gerstner 7-drawer machinists box, Festool 1400, Veritas making guage, a moisture meter, and a few other small items.
    No pics, didn't happen.