Thread: Plough plane refurb question

Thumbs up Plough plane refurb question

About this time last year, I scored an old plough plane at a yard sale. I am contemplating putting it in good enough condition to use, but I have one problem with it that needs to be solved.

The adjustment rails fit into mortises on the plane body and are attached with nails. These rails are very loose and move around a lot, making solid adjustment impossible. The fence itself is held with wedges and is very solid. Do any of you have an idea how to fix this. If not, I may have to settle for keeping the tool as is, treating it as a historic relic to hang on the wall for display.
    This plane also came minus a blade and wedge, so that will have to be addressed later. Thanks in advance. Here are pix...
    plow plane 1.jpgplow plane 2.jpgplow plane 4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Edward Mitton; 07-28-2014 at 11:22 AM.

If you plan to restore the plane for use, the beams must be secured. I'd remove the nails and drill the beams for dowels. You'll retain the original appearance except for the dowels.

I would make some shims to tighten up the mortises. Assuming wooden shims, with a good bench plane you can adjust the size in .001" increments. If you don't want to go wood I would say some nice slick polyethylene, or brass.

Oops! Loose rails, not loose nails. Shims will cure it and retain the original appearance.