Thread: Corners - What type of Joinery or Miter

Corners - What type of Joinery or Miter

Im building Walnut columns for a home theater. I am trying to build something just like this: http://elitetrimworks.com/Square-Col...rry-Maple.html

My question is this - how do I work the corners. The picture looks like a simple miter, however, these things are 86" hight and that is a long run for a simple miter joint, and too long for a lock miter I would guess unless you had some very very strait wood. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dave

I would guess they are using simple miters on those and leaving it up to the person on site to assemble.

Simple miters with biscuits, using band clamps to hold it all together till the glue dries?
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 07-28-2014 at 3:35 PM.

Biscuits make complete sense. Thanks for the input guys. I assume that would be the best solution, right?

Another alternative would be a splined miter joint.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

would that be feasible on an 4' + miter joint? I know its a strong joint and I see them on shorter runs (i.e. frames). I think it would definitely add to the aesthetic appeal. Thanks Ken

Dave,

I think you are thinking of "keyed miters" like those used on decorative boxes.

What I am referring to is a splined miter where you cut a slot the entire length of the miter joint (both pieces) and put a spline into the slot. The spline is invisible but strengthens and aligns both pieces.

Think of it as a rectangular "biscuit" that runs the entire length of the miter joint. The slot in the miter can easily be cut on a table saw.
    Ken

So its basically a lock miter joint? Sorry for all the questions

Dave,

Don't apologize for asking questions.

Here's a link to what I was referring as a splined miter joint. It's similar to a lock miter except, you cut a groove in both sides of the miter using a table saw with the blade tipped to 45º. Here's the link to an example: https://www.google.com/search?q=spli...%3B3072%3B2304
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

What I am referring to is a splined miter where you cut a slot the entire length of the miter joint (both pieces) and put a spline into the slot. The spline is invisible but strengthens and aligns both pieces.

Think of it as a rectangular "biscuit" that runs the entire length of the miter joint. The slot in the miter can easily be cut on a table saw.
    ..And since the column is hollow and the inside not seen, the spline slot doesn't have to be in the miter cut but can be up the side a little bit for the deepest possible cut and more stable joint. Just make sure, as always for a splined joint, not to make the spline too wide or it will not allow the joint to be closed properly.