Thread: Would it have killed ya to throw in the shipping?

Would it have killed ya to throw in the shipping?

Can't make this stuff up.
    Untitled-1.jpg
    My explanation is that this was the actual vise used by Chris Schwarz when he was in high school.

Shipping's gone up to $29.79. Better snatch it up before it goes even higher!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce,
    I believe the explanation for the discrepancy in shipping costs is geographical -- the page calculates it based on your location.

I think you’re right. Too bad, it priced me right out of the equation.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Someone probably lost track of a decimal place and then didn't re-read their entry. They may also have an entry that they screwed up the quantity on and just blew the price up to the sky to avoid having to do anything about it.

Last year, I sold an escher stone on ebay. I sold it for $350, and I didn't proof-read my auction that well and somehow got quantity of two. I only had one, and the first one sold pretty quickly. I couldn't figure out how to cancel the auction quickly on ebay so I revised it so that the BIN price on the second was $3,000. It instantly became the topic of the hour on the razor boards because people there, for some reason, think they're always right around the corner from finding an escher for a few cents and nabbing it quickly. They were so offended by my "price" on an item that didn't exist that they got completely carried away and started dogpiling (which I let go for a while).

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Someone probably lost track of a decimal place and then didn't re-read their entry. They may also have an entry that they screwed up the quantity on and just blew the price up to the sky to avoid having to do anything about it.
    Yeah, but this seller's, dmt_supply's, default asking price is $5,000.00, so... better snatch it up before someone else figures out that Schwarz might've gone to the same high school, used it, blessed it, whatever.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-29-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

Jeez...I think they may have misunderstood how likely people are to make an offer on something that's listed over final sale price by a factor of 50.

Did you get any ticklers on the $3,000 price?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

In this case, on eBay, it's probably a mistake, but on Amazon, you'll often see ridiculous prices like this that end up being caused by algorithmic pricing watching competitors going awry. It can be pretty funny: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    In this case, on eBay, it's probably a mistake, but on Amazon, you'll often see ridiculous prices like this that end up being caused by algorithmic pricing watching competitors going awry. It can be pretty funny: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358
    Either way, dmt_supply's pricing isn't all that out of line. They offer a pair of used tweezers for $225, but it might be so affordably priced because he has five of them. Maybe one could pick 'em up for $1000.00 for the five! Bulk pricing!

In fairness, dmt_supply's prices have been lowered from earlier today to more reasonable levels. His Zeiss OPMI surgical microscope is priced attractively, indeed. Could well have been a mistake or a procedural issue as most items when I posted earlier were $5,000.00.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-29-2014 at 6:16 AM. Reason: Remove eBay link
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

I think this was done intentionally to gain views. After laughing at it, most people are bound to look at the other items the seller has for sell and there is bound to be one person that really wants it and will offer a hundred bucks or whatever, sold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    It appears to be gone now. Did you buy it? :-)

Well this looks like a good place to post an eBay gloat. Buy it now $175 for the pair. Yes, that would be rosewood handles there. It pays to watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images