Thread: Saw Set Usage Question

Saw Set Usage Question

I am a total rookie here but wonder if I'm missing something or what. Just received a Millers Falls 214 saw set. When I put it to a saw plate there is nothing holding the plate perpendicular to the saw set. When I start to squeeze the handle the saw plate tilts to meet the backing plate (unsure of terminology here) of the saw set. The anvil comes out to set the point but shouldn't it grab the saw plate before that happens? Also; Should I lower the saw set so it sits down on top of the teeth/points of the saw?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Hey,
    I ran across this
    see last post.
    I am thinking maybe you are using it against the wrong tooth. Or the right tooth from the wrong side if that makes more sense. The saw sets I have are similar but not the exact one. They seem pretty obvious how they work.
    Can you post a close up of the saw set tool on the saw ?
    Difficult to get a good shot I realize.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    I am a total rookie here but wonder if I'm missing something or what. Just received a Millers Falls 214 saw set. When I put it to a saw plate there is nothing holding the plate perpendicular to the saw set. When I start to squeeze the handle the saw plate tilts to meet the backing plate (unsure of terminology here) of the saw set. The anvil comes out to set the point but shouldn't it grab the saw plate before that happens? Also; Should I lower the saw set so it sits down on top of the teeth/points of the saw?
    If this is the saw set you have:

http://www.blackburntools.com/vintag...002/index.html

Then the sliding part should be adjusted to guide the saw plate to rest against the yoke, for lack of better term. The saw set should rest on the top of the teeth.

Not a whole lot of saw sets have a moving plunger to hold the plate while the tooth is being set.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Andrew, you 1) lower the saw set until it rests on the teeth, then 2)angle the set slightly to secure the saw, then 3) set the tooth.