Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor machine nameplate material ?

Outdoor machine nameplate material ?

I need some advice please,

I need to produce various control nameplates for machines that will be outdoors all the time, such as "Start" "Run" "Off" etc.

They need to be black with white lettering and I would like to use laminated plastic substrate about 1/8" thick, they will be pop riveted onto panels.

I can either laser engrave or CNC router them.

What type/brand substrate would be recommended for this outdoor application ?

Thanks for any advice/help !
    K40 Laser, modified, Upgraded with DSP
    Grizzly CNC Mini Mill
    Custom 4x5 CNC Router with superPID

Plastics from Rowmark wil do the job, but(!) plastic is pretty easy to scratch up. Black anodized aluminum engraves near white and is much tougher stuff. The blanks from Chewbarka are pretty nice.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

LaserMax - I have some swimming pool signs made from it that have been in the Florida sun for almost 10 years and they still look like the day they were made.

Yes plastic will scratch but so will anodized aluminum. In fact I bet the lasermax would scratch less than anodized aluminum.

Plastic. Frankly, I'm not even sure you need to go with 1/8". 1/16" will most likely be more than sufficient.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thanks guys!

So this: http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/detail/M37/1/1/LM922402 is what you recommend ?

Any other suppliers recommended ?
    K40 Laser, modified, Upgraded with DSP
    Grizzly CNC Mini Mill
    Custom 4x5 CNC Router with superPID

Steve 'n All -
    I have successfully used 1/16" Rowmark Lasermax plastics outdoors - this one pictured has been hanging on a fence for 'least three years - still looks fine and customer still pleased. If fingerprints or scratches are a concern you may look at their 800 series textured plastic - black/white. I'd sure run a test first using the riveting process - keeping the holes well away from the corners.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

I've got Lasermax that's been in the Fiji sun for about 8 years. You can see they have weathered a bit but not enought to replace (and they are directional signs for a high-end pearl jewelry store). Yes, it is good stuff. But I'll take the bet that Rowmark acrylic scatches more easily than Chewbarka's anodized!! (I've already done the comparison myself. Is that cheating?)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Rowmark, IDI, New Hermes, any of their UV stable material will work. If you want REALLY scratch resistant, get the non-laserable stuff like Rowmark Ultramatte and tool engrave it.

(Actually, you CAN laser Ultramatte--with a lotta heat and patience!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We use DuraBlack laserable Aluminum, i think its made by Horizons incorporated in Ohio, Impressive outdoor specs
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

The stuff made by Horizons is called Alumamark and it is not UV stable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    The stuff made by Horizons is called Alumamark and it is not UV stable.
    Not to cause an argument but it is called Durablack and it is uv stable at least according to their spec'sdurablack.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Not to cause an argument but it is called Durablack and it is uv stable at least according to their spec'sdurablack.jpg
    Horizons makes both Alumamark AND Durablack. Durablack is UV stable (and very rugged), Alumamark is not.

Wes
    JP

Bert and Wes

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't used Durablack and wasn't aware it was a Horizons product.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stearns View Post
    . . . I have successfully used 1/16" Rowmark Lasermax plastics outdoors - this one pictured has been hanging on a fence for 'least three years - still looks fine and customer still pleased. . . .
    And if they ever need a new one . . . i before e except after c.

I agree with Ross.....1/8" is overkill for the application.
    In addition to Lasermax you can look at Rowmark texture series.

Have s here work or tested this Tesa produce?
    http://www.tesa.com/industry/product...erlabel,i.html
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software