Thread: Another back saving project.

Another back saving project.

I've been meaning to make one of these for a long time Hilton Handcraft - The Log Lift
    and finally got around to it last week. Haven't had a chance to use it yet (to load anything into my truck), but I did try lifting a large birch log in my woodpile, and it did the job without causing any strain.

The pictures in the link show it being used to lift half rounds, but I usually can't rip logs until I get them home, so I am hoping that a tie down strap will hold a round in place until it is safely over the tailgate.

I made mine from 2x4 instead of 2x8 in order to cut down on the overall weight. It seems to be sturdy enough. The shelf is 2x8, and if I had been thinking, I would have made it twice as thick (for additional support), but I think this will be good enough. It's screwed, but not glued, so modifications are still possible. Will update once I have an opportunity to actually use it as intended.

Here is my version:

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 07-28-2014 at 4:44 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

great idea! I do quite a bit of tree butchering - so one of these would definitely come in handy.

Here's an idea for a tie down:
    Get a long piece of canvas that will fit between the rails. It needs to be about twice as long as the circumference of the largest log you plan on lifting. Fold in half and stitch across about every two inches. Fasten one end permanently to the shelf and get a rod to go through the pockets created between the stitches. The rod needs to be about 4" longer than the width of the rig. Place a bungie under the rails, put the log in place, put the rod through a pocket such that it fits close to the rail over the log. Hook the bungie to the ends of the rod. Should be easy to release, but hold securely if the bungie is strong enough. Just wrap it around the shelf for storage and transport.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Dan, thanks for sharing. This looks like a GREAT back saver. Especially for an old guy like me. It is now on my list of things to make.
    Steve

How about swapping the 2x8 to a 2x12 and adding some metal braces. Maybe a 2x4 about 4" long secured with a single long screw to the lip--like an old gate lock to prevent log rolling?

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    How about swapping the 2x8 to a 2x12 and adding some metal braces. Maybe a 2x4 about 4" long secured with a single long screw to the lip--like an old gate lock to prevent log rolling?
    Wouldn't you have to get your hand under the log to turn the 'latch' after raising the device? How about hinging another 2x8 so that it would fold over flat against the first one -then add a couple of eye bolts in the edge near the ends. Strap it back to the rails to hold the log when needed.

I'm sure there are many simple ways to keep a log from rolling off, but some restraint would be a good idea, though it would not be a problem until just before you got vertical. I also wonder about rounding the end, possibly even building up the width to allow a larger curve rather than rotating up on a point that will dig into the ground. It might work against you though and want to slide.

A fulcrum point above the shelf would allow you to slide/roll the log/blank onto the shelf (uphill, but not much) and have the rails tip so that you are already lifted part way and can grab from a straight backed stoop rather than bending to the ground.

All academic to me - I'm probably not going to need to lift anything that large.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Looks like a great idea.

How far apart did you set the legs?

I wonder if a couple of wheels could be added that would allow one to roll to the truck or trailer and be positioned far enough up the legs to not touch the ground as the unit is lifted?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I've been meaning to make one of these myself but just haven't got around to it yet. I like that you've shaped longer handles into the 2x4's, I would do the same. Did you use 8' long 2x4's?