Thread: Denver Colorado /Woodworking /What to do?

Denver Colorado /Woodworking /What to do?

I am going on a work trip to Denver Colorado the first week of October and can stay an extra 2-3 days if I want. Are there any cool woodworking things to see or do in the area? Also if not what else what would you recommend? It can be outside of the direct Denver area as I have a few days and can stay in any area as long as I am back to fly out of Denver.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Elk Fest in Estes Park and Rocky Mtn National Park

Elk Fest

October 04 – 05, 2014
    Daily
    9 am - 5 pm
    Admission: Free
    Bond Park
    Downtown Estes Park, Estes Park, CO 80517
    Ph: 970-586-6104
    Festivals & Special Events Kids & Family Live Music & Concerts Free Event
    Website Add to Trip Planner
    Elk Fest features bugling competitions, educational areas, seminars, live music, a Mountain Man Rendezvous, Native American storytelling & music, a display of raptors, and guided elk-viewing tours. There will also be a variety of vendors offering memorable souvenirs of your time at Elk Fest. Food vendors will be on site as well offering plenty of choices! There is no admission fee to attend Elk Fest, but Elk-viewing bus tour tickets will be available to purchase.

In my experience, Denver has squat for anything woodworking; all the cool stuff's in New England.

If you're going to Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, you might want to stay a night in the Stanley hotel in Estes Park. It's the hotel from the movie The Shining and is a neat old place, even if there aren't any ghosts!

Definitely Rocky Mountain National Park. Makes a great day drive across the park.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I'm #4 for Estes Park RMNP. Estes Park is a great place.

RMNP is a nice place to drive through. If you want you can do it in one long day from denver to drive up there through park and then loop back to denver but plan on leaving early and arriving back late. If you can stay up there for a night to enjoy yourself.

Another place to go is down in Colorado Springs and go up Pikes Peak on the rail line. You can head out west into ski country just for a drive up and over the continential divide but make sure you drink plenty of water and take lots of breaks because the altitude gets to a lot of people. Another place is to drive down to Pueblo and then out to Carson City for the royal gorge bridge. You can either go across the bridge or take the train through the valley and look up at the bridge. They also do rafting down the river. The great sand dunes national park is down that way also.

All of those are technically within a days drive of Denver but they can be a long day on the road if you don't mind that.

If you are really looking for a drive to see the state you can drive out to durango which is about a 7-8 hour drive and they have a few train trips from there and then head back to denver or drive from denver to salt lake city and fly out of there and see some of the national parks along the way. Or go to Phoenix or Albuquerque and fly out of there and see the grand canyon.

Have fun it is beautiful country out that way.
    Greg
    Last edited by Greg Cuetara; 07-29-2014 at 1:05 PM.

You could drive up to Loveland, Co (hour north of Denver) on October 9th for our Rocky Mountain Woodturners monthly meeting. It usually starts around 6 PM.

+1 for Rocky Mountain National Park.

CS Woods is supposed to be pretty cool. I have yet to go there, but you might check it out:

http://www.cswoods.com/
    4355 Monaco St. Unit A
    Denver, CO 80216
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    what else what would you recommend?
    Enjoy the weed! And burn one for me!

Thanks for all the tips and leads. I do like the great outdoors. And Jon thanks for the invitation to the turners meeting if time allows and once I figure out my schedule I may just pm you for more details.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006