Thread: How to store a travisher?

How to store a travisher?

I just bought Elia Bizzarri's travisher and am trying to figure out how to store it.image.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with a leather sheath or other small storage method that will protect the blade, mouth, and sole? It will be stored in a toolbox most of the time andI don't have much shop space so I don't want anything bulky like a box.

Thanks. -s

You lay it on a shelf.

But,if you MUST keep it in a tool box,in the very old days,they might take 2 blocks of wood,and hollow out each half to fit the odd shaped object. Then,hinge the 2 halves together and get a brass hook to latch it together. These boxes in the old days were usually pretty crude,but did the job,even on expensive instruments like surveyor's compasses. They were tied on pack mules and carried around to where ever the job required.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-29-2014 at 9:50 AM.

Wrap in oil cloth and store your tool chest. No need to get too fancy with it, unless you want to.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I would store it the same way I store my spokeshaves during transport: in a roll.

Blog Entries
    I have Store Wall (roughly like pegboard) on my walls I have all sorts of baskets and hooks on the wall several of which a travisher fits in or on. Yours may be straight enough to fit in a tool rool, which is where I keep most of my other green wood tools like spokeshaves.