Thread: Dimmer Switch for Kitchen

Dimmer Switch for Kitchen

I bought seven LED BR light bulbs for our kitchen and ordered the same lumen output as the CFL bulbs they replaced. While we like the instant on feature and low electrical usage, they are bright. Really bright. Too bright actually. Since I spent $150 for the bulbs plus shipping I'd like to not have to replace them. Can you install a dimmer switch on a light circuit that has two on/off switches?
    Dennis

Yes there are three way dimmers, we have on in our dining room and our foyer.

George

Dennis,

The quick answer is yes, but there are a couple details that you want to address first. The first is that you need to be sure that your new LED bulbs are dimmable models. Second, you want to be sure that the 3-way dimmer you buy is LED compatible. If you use a conventional style 3-way LED dimmer, you will only replace one existing 3-way switch with the dimmer (dimming only possible at one location). Buy a model that has an adjustable bottom threshold level, so the LED bulbs do not blink and flicker at their lowest levels. They do make addressable switches such as X-10 or Insteon that can replace both of your existing 3-ways, and be able to dim from both locations. They are a little more involved, but a viable option.

Dennis,

Here is what we use in our kitchen. Pricey, but worth it in the long run....http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MACL-15...lutron+maestro

Rick

This looks like about the same thing but 20 bucks cheaper at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Ma...R-WH/203489683

Thanks guys, I picked up one from HD.
    Dennis