View Poll Results: Which finish for an inexpensive kitchen table top?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Interior Varnish

1 33.33%
  • Wipe on poly

2 66.67%

Thread: Table Top Finish Poll

Table Top Finish Poll

We bought an inexpensive used kitchen table for our daughter. The top is a little rough, but otherwise the table is good. I would like to sand the top and apply either interior varnish or wipe on poly. Those are the only two choices

Which do you recommend?
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

A simple wipe-on poly is a good choice. It's easy, relatively low odor (compared to other oil-based varnishes) and very durable.

If this is indeed an inexpensive, non-heirloom piece, then the minor aesthetic benefits of an alkyd or phenolic varnish over a poly may not be worth the extra hassle or cost to obtain them.

If I couldn't spray this is what I would use, it does have an amber color to it so not ideal for everything.
    Behlens Rock Hard Varnish

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Mosher View Post
    If I couldn't spray this is what I would use, it does have an amber color to it so not ideal for everything.
    Behlens Rock Hard Varnish

Works great. Reduce to wipe-on consistency, use Famous Blue Shop Towels; coat, wait an hour, coat, wait an hour, coat, come back tomorrow.

IF the surface seems a bit rough from dust particles, then very light sanding to knock them flat, use 3M Gold 320 or 400.

Then go again, 3 wipe-on coats generaly has the same film build as one bruch-on coat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'd use General Finishes WB EnduroVar. It goes on great with a foam brush. It is chemically very durable, on par with most solvent based products. It dries in an hour, can be recoated in 2 to 4 hours, and fully cures in about a week. You could apply 3 coats in one day and have the table back in service in 7. With a OB varnish, you're looking at 3 to 4 weeks.

John

John-
    Like my conversion to Arm-R-Seal, you are gradually convincing me to switch to EnduroVar.

How do you find the color, though? Do you find it lifeless?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    John-
    Like my conversion to Arm-R-Seal, you are gradually convincing me to switch to EnduroVar.

How do you find the color, though? Do you find it lifeless?
    I think that it is one of the better looking water based polys for looks.

http://generalfinishes.com/professio...r#.U9_OtESE1XY

I prefer the look of Waterlox, but, in general, this has a good enough look for most things and it is ready to use much faster than Waterlox.

Hi Prashun,

No, I don't find EnduroVar to be lifeless, but it does not add the same amber color that Waterlox would. Here's a little cherry bedside cabinet I made to match an existing one.

IMG_3482.JPG

The original was sprayed with lacquer and had aged for around 20 years. I matched the color by spraying the new cabinet with a dye/shellac toner and then EnduroVar SG tweaked with a little Transtint Medium Brown to adjust the color.

Here's what it looks like on some spalted maple:

IMG_2918.JPG

As you can see it's essentially water clear. You can easily tweak it to an tint desired with a few drops of Transtint w/o changing the clarity at all. It gives me a lot more control over color than traditional varnishes. Durability wise it's excellent, on par with the best conventional varnishes I tested it against and better than some. Waterlox was not one of them, however, as I've never used it.

EnduroVar brushes beautifully with a foam brush, but is a little more difficult for me to spray than GF's Hi Perf. Poly. But if I thin it 5% with water then it does spray pretty well through my HVLP conversion gun, as you can see in the photo above.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images