Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Tool Purchase

Need Advice on Tool Purchase

Okay, I have an unusual situation. I won a $300 store credit at Capistrano Hardwoods. My problem is that they're a long drive from me so I want to make one trip and use the whole $300. The only tools they carry are the Fein line.

What tool in that line would you recommend I buy that would be close to $300? A bit over $300 would be ideal. I have an oscillating cutter (not the Fein MultiMaster but I seldom use it), and I have portable drills and drivers. How about the Fein vacuum? Anyone have any comments on that?

I won this for my entry in the OC Fair. They used to give the Industry Awards in cash but now give them in store credit which makes it a problem. I guess another alternative would be for me to try to sell the credit - which I expect will be in the form of a gift card. Or buy the MultiMaster and sell it on eBay.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-29-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Fein makes a nice 6" sander, I have a few of them. Check them out. They are over 300 for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    Fein makes a nice 6" sander, I have a few of them. Check them out. They are over 300 for sure
    Thanks, Sam. 6" is a bit larger than I'd use. If they made a 5" I'd be interested in that. For a lot of the work I do a 6" sander would be a bit big.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Their vacuum is nice. I have the smaller one (Turbo I) connected to the dust deputy and it works well and is relatively quiet and small. It replaced Rigid 12 Gallon one that worked fine, but always sounded like it is about to die (even when brand new). Turbo I is about $300.

Reinis

+1 on the Fein vacuum.

I still have one from about 10-15 years ago. I bought it to replace a Sears Shop Vac, and the quiet was (and is still) refreshing. I don't know what a Turbo 1 is; mine is called a 9.55.13. Anyway you want to spend $300 so they must have something in that category, or accessories to get you there. It is not a very powerful vacuum, but it has the correct sound level for me.

It is well built, the wheels don't bind, the hose has lasted, and it has one of those aux sockets so you can plug in your ROS and the vac starts when you turn on the sander....
    Last edited by Rich Enders; 07-29-2014 at 3:40 PM.

I've been very happy with my Fein vac.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a Fein Vac and bought one for my father in law. I also own a Festool Vac and I like the Fein better.

They make great vac's and you shouldn't have any problem spending the $300 dollars, and even a bit more.

Buy Fein mutitool or vac and flip it and buy what you want.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a Fein vac too, FYI they all have auto start to use with sanders and other power tools.

Why not take $300 of wood instead of a tool you don't want? (I assume from the name that they sell wood...)

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Why not take $300 of wood instead of a tool you don't want? (I assume from the name that they sell wood...)
    A few problems with buying wood from them: (1) they're quite some distance from me and I only have an SUV to haul the wood, (2) I don't have a lot of storage space, and (3) I don't know what projects I'll be doing in the future and what wood I'll need.

I did think about that but it wouldn't be my first choice. Before I do that, I'd buy some tool and sell it "new" to get most of the money - then I'd buy wood when I need it from my local supplier (I get a discount from my local supplier).

Looks like the Fein vac is my best choice so far. I have a Ridgid vac that I use now with my tools - I set up a sensor so it turns on when I turn the tool on, and I can adjust the speed - but it's loud. Hopefully, the Fein vac is quieter.

I'll look around when I go there but since they only carry Fein tools, I pretty much know what my options will be as far as tools are concerned.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Buy Fein mutitool or vac and flip it and buy what you want.
    Yep, that's one of my options. I'll see what they have and make a decision. The Fein MultiMaster kit is about $300. If I flip it I should be able to net $250 to maybe $275. I'd be happy with that.

Mike

I'd buy the Multimaster. I don't have one yet, but about once a week I come across a situation where I really wish I had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    I'd buy the Multimaster. I don't have one yet, but about once a week I come across a situation where I really wish I had one.
    I already have another brand of oscillating tool and I don't use it very much. Maybe a couple of times a year. I don't want to put $300 into a tool I use that little and to replace an equivalent one I already have.

BTW, you can try an oscillating tool for little money. Harbor Freight has one for so little money that it's almost a disposable tool. I don't remember the price but I think the single speed one was less than $20. Buy one and see if you like it and use it. If so, you can upgrade to a MulitMaster later.

Yep, just went and looked. See here. About $20.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-30-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

I certainly understand your predicament and it's your call, but I'd treat this as found money. If there is no tool that you want or need there, buy wood that you normally wouldn't buy like ebony, bubinga, etc... Three hundred dollars really doesn't buy a lot of board feet of the exotics. This wood wouldn't take up much space and it might inspire you to try something new in the way of projects.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"