Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greene & Greene inspired tall dresser finally complete.

Greene & Greene inspired tall dresser finally complete.

As a hobbyist it always feels good to be at the end of the road with a project. I have been picking away at this dresser for over a year.
    Butternut with walnut pulls and breadboard ends. Ash drawer sides and back. Machined dovetails using the Leigh jig. Waterlox finish. Blum undermount slides. All M&T construction with frame and panel sides and back. Brass pinned at the M&T joints.
    This is my first attempt at a project of this size.
    I'm happy overall with the outcome. DSC_0028.jpgDSC_0339.jpgDSC_0322.jpgDSC_0308.jpgDSC_0306.jpg

Blog Entries
    Dennis,
    Looks like your hard work paid off. That is a great looking piece of fine furniture.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    A labor of love and a treasure to be passed down. She's a beauty Dennis. I don't get much butternut out here on the left coast but I do like black walnut and would love to try a piece in it's white cousin. Great job on the pulls. I have the most fun when designing my pulls toward the end of a build . . . maybe that's too much information ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-29-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn
    This is the second project using butternut. Here is a quick pic of the first that inspired this dresser: DSC_0018.jpg

I really like the way it works. A bit different than black walnut for sure.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Sweet table Dennis, very nice. I have some black walnut that is extremely pale but, lacks figure. Your butternut has the strong walnut figure with a very warm color. Is that a bit of cloud-lift detail on the ends of the through tenons on the base? Would you mind sharing your finishing schedule?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-29-2014 at 10:27 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great job on both pieces. There appears to be quite a variety in grain pattern in butternut. I've never come across any. Found an interesting article here at: http://www.americanwoodworker.com/bl...butternut.aspx. A few pieces on the coffee table remind me of some of the figured cherry I've worked, while some of the other pieces especially in the chest of drawers resemble ash. Again, really nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sweet table Dennis, very nice. I have some black walnut that is extremely pale but, lacks figure. Your butternut has the strong walnut figure with a very warm color. Is that a bit of cloud-lift detail on the ends of the through tenons on the base? Would you mind sharing your finishing schedule?
    Glen
    Indeed the through tenon on the lower shelf of the coffee table has a reverse cloud lift.

Butternut has a color tone and grain pattern that I really like. The hard part is finding some quartersawn stock to get some straight-grained material.

Butternut is very lightweight and soft for a hardwood so it is low on the durability scale. I choose Waterlox sealer/finish as my only product for finishing butternut. I sand to 180 grit. Then soak the project with the first coat of Waterlox. Use a good natural brush for application.
    On horizontal surfaces you can lay it on heavier for subsequent coats. I usually apply 4 coats with 24/48 hrs in between with lots of cross-ventilation for curing. I then wet sand with mineral spirits with 400 grit wet-dry paper.One more final coat then after 4 days if I'm happy I knock-down the gloss with red Scotch-Brite. I then use Briwax as my final step.
    I probably have more than 20 hours in the finish step of that dresser project.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Great job on both pieces. There appears to be quite a variety in grain pattern in butternut. I've never come across any. Found an interesting article here at: http://www.americanwoodworker.com/bl...butternut.aspx. A few pieces on the coffee table remind me of some of the figured cherry I've worked, while some of the other pieces especially in the chest of drawers resemble ash. Again, really nice work.
    That link to the American Woodworker article is spot-on.
    We have plenty of Butternut available here in northern Vermont so I'll be using it again in a matching dresser for my wife.

That's a Work of Art!

Regards,

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Love those dovetails !! everyone should look at those before they make their own !! I love the spacing !! Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by joe valsi View Post
    Love those dovetails !! everyone should look at those before they make their own !! I love the spacing !! Great job!
    Joe
    Thanks for the compliment.
    It's interesting you point out my dovetail spacing because this is one aspect of the project that I didn't totally like.
    The very top drawers and the bottom most drawer have pins that are wider than all the other drawers. I could have spaced my tails in such a way that all the pins in all the drawers were the same width regardless of spacing. I didn't see this when setting up the jig for the first drawer (which was the bottom most). My DT spacing was dictated somewhat by my choice in drawer slides so I had to think it through carefully but in the end still wound up with something that I would have done differently.
    Dennis

Dennis........Well done sir! That is an instant family heirloom!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wow, give yourself a pat on the back. Way to stick with it and not cut corners to completion. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Locke View Post
    Wow, give yourself a pat on the back. Way to stick with it and not cut corners to completion. Bravo!
    I didn't cut any corners but I did make some changes along the way.
    I originally intended to do traditional drawer slides, one piece plywood back and also use exposed joints in the drawers.
    I enjoy many design elements of the Greene & Greene style and initially wanted to incorporate more into this piece but I decided to pare down the details. Especially since I took the effort to do a frame and panel back. That took some extra time.
    I built a mock drawer with the ash exposed and didn't like the look(butternut face,ash joints,walnut pulls). I could have used butternut for the entire drawer which would have looked more appropriate with through joints but I have another project in mind for the remainder of my butternut stock so I used ash half-blind DT's instead.

Thank you to everyone who have commented on this. I appreciate the compliments but I'm also open to criticism if someone had an opinion on something about this project that they would have done differently.
    D.

Fantastic execution and attention to detail.