Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Screwdriver Bits

Square Screwdriver Bits

Who makes the very highest quality, longest life square-tip screwdriver bit?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

People still use those?

Sorry. I had to.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I have some that came from McFeely's nearly ten years ago that are still going strong. They are the hardened tip pressed in a softer shaft style. I have yet to have any of those fail, long or short. I have had poor luck with the all-one-piece style that DeWalt and Milwaukee badge that are light gray. Those have all gone the way of poor bits with one exception that seems to hang on for no known reason . . . maybe its because I choose it last and I just never get to it anymore(?)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I echo Glen Bradley. And the red/green/gold colors are convenient.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Not sure if we are ahead or behind up here in the Great White North (Canada) but at every counter in every hardware store, there are usually multiple buckets/containers of all sizes - short, long, longer, and sometimes longer ones. Probably the bit of choice up here...

Can I say that out loud??
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

In the last few years Irwin, Makita, Milwaukee and others are making impact type driver bits in various styles. Much better bits overall. You can find them at Home Depot Lowes Mcmaster Mcfeelys etc. they will say impact rated on label.

Are we talking about a #2 Square drive?

The most robust set I've used yet. And their color coded. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

Another vote for the McFeely's brand... They send them free with certain screw orders. One of them I actually used to sink some screws through 2X4's into by brick fireplace and rounded a couple screws but the bits are still like new - these are the ones that have the hardened head that are pressed inside of the shaft.

Thanks for your replies so far, guys. A few answers, not necessarily in any order (and a couple might be for questions noit asked):

Yes, #2 square for power driving screws, at this moment primarily pocket hole screws. I decided to try pocket holes on a cabinet I'm building and used that as an excuse to buy a Kreg K5 jig. To my surprise, the bit included by Kreg is total cr@p. It was thoroughly stripped before I drove 30 screws. Amost as disappointing as the swivel dust collection fitting that keeps popping off. I've used a lot of square-head screws in the past and know the one-piece bit like they provide has a limited life expectancy, but I expected to at least get through the weekend without a slipped bit ramming my project (or my hand).

I like the principal used in both the McFeely and Lee Valley bits--a hard tool-steel bit embedded in a shaft with a more moderate material cost. Bits strip when their material is no stronger than the screw heads they're driving. Unless you're driving an unusual screw, a tool steel bit should last forever (or at least longer than I will).

I tried to pick up a bit at my neighborhood Orange Box yesterday just to get me through, and to my surprise all I could find was the short bits made for magnetic holders. No sale -- I hate leaving bits behind!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I find it funny that Americans call a Phillips screwdriver a Phillips, but they call a Robertson screwdriver a Square Drive. I guess they don't like to give credit due for something that wasn't invented in the US. I always get a blank stare when I ask somebody to hand me the #2 Robertson out of the 2nd drawer of my toolbox.

I have been extremely happy with these bits from Klein; http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/po...s-6-152-mm-bit My local electricla supply house keeps them in stock and they seem to be very popular with the trades. Not cheap, but good stuff rarely is.

I've used the Kreg square driver regularly for nearly 5 years....It's never slipped out and looks like it'll go another 5 years. Are you using true square drive screws and not those hybrid phillips-square screws? Stripped after just 30 screws doesn't sound right. Have you contacted Kreg?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Kreg must have changed the quality of their bits, because I have been using the couple supplied with a Kreg kit for about 5 years without issue.

I have recently acquired two of the LV bits. They are wonderful. They are so solid and well-fitting, they sometimes even stick a little when you retract the bit from the recess after driving. I recommend these.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    I find it funny that Americans call a Phillips screwdriver a Phillips, but they call a Robertson screwdriver a Square Drive. I guess they don't like to give credit due for something that wasn't invented in the US. I always get a blank stare when I ask somebody to hand me the #2 Robertson out of the 2nd drawer of my toolbox.
    The square drive was invented by Allan Cummings of New York City, it was patented in 1875, Robertson came up with a way to make the screws a commercial success.