Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square Screwdriver Bits

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Kreg must have changed the quality of their bits, because I have been using the couple supplied with a Kreg kit for about 5 years without issue.

I have recently acquired two of the LV bits. They are wonderful. They are so solid and well-fitting, they sometimes even stick a little when you retract the bit from the recess after driving. I recommend these.
    I'm still using the Kreg square bit I got when I got my Kreg Mini jig ~10 years ago. Very good bit.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    I find it funny that Americans call a Phillips screwdriver a Phillips, but they call a Robertson screwdriver a Square Drive. I guess they don't like to give credit due for something that wasn't invented in the US. I always get a blank stare when I ask somebody to hand me the #2 Robertson out of the 2nd drawer of my toolbox.
    Got that right, if it aint developed in whatever country I happening to be living in that I use the shape name, otherwise it is the person who developed it. Well, either that or if I can't figure out what that shape might be.... I want to create an octothorp bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Got that right, if it aint developed in whatever country I happening to be living in that I use the shape name, otherwise it is the person who developed it. Well, either that or if I can't figure out what that shape might be.... I want to create an octothorp bit.

Like this? Fastenmaster calls it "Spiderdrive", though.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 07-30-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

See post# 15. It should be rightfully called a Cummings Driver, after it's inventor and patent holder. Robertson's contribution was improving the screw mfg technology. So the correct nomenclature when trying to impress your 19 year old hardware clerk is "where do you keep your Cummings driver bits and Robertson screws?".
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    See post# 15. It should be rightfully called a Cummings Driver, after it's inventor and patent holder. Robertson's contribution was improving the screw mfg technology. So the correct nomenclature when trying to impress your 19 year old hardware clerk is "where do you keep your Cummings driver bits and Robertson screws?".
    I thought the difference with Robertson screws was that the square drive (the tool and the recess) was tapered while the earlier square drives were not.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I have been extremely happy with these bits from Klein; http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/po...s-6-152-mm-bit My local electricla supply house keeps them in stock and they seem to be very popular with the trades. Not cheap, but good stuff rarely is.
    I'm a big fan of Klein tools. I don't wear an electricians toolbelt anymore, but when I did it was filled with Klein tools and I would accept no substitute. I have a Klein 11-in-1 in my desk, another in the console of my truck, and one inside every site we support.

But, I've never seen one of these bits. Our local distributors don't stock them because there isn't enough demand. I know that when I was in the trade I didn't have the need for a power square-drive. The hand one filled the need perfectly. Of course back then drills didn't have batteries either.

That said, since it's a Klein tool I'd be extremely surprised if it doesn't exceed expectations. I'm searching for one online as we type.

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I've used the Kreg square driver regularly for nearly 5 years....It's never slipped out and looks like it'll go another 5 years. Are you using true square drive screws and not those hybrid phillips-square screws? Stripped after just 30 screws doesn't sound right. Have you contacted Kreg?
    I'm using Kreg-branded square-drive screws. It's possible I got a bad bit with the K5. Also possible that the bit they sold 5 years ago is a better bit than what they sell today.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Go get em Bill. No passes here. Good one.
    David

When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Liechty View Post
    They make nice screw drivers also.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I should have mentioned that I have had some pretty good luck with HighPoint bits, but they were a bit pricey. I don't know if that was because they were Highpoint or if it was because I purchased them at Woodcraft.

I have a 3" square drive bit, two piece hardened end mounted in larger shank that I have used for going on 20 years or so and bought it from McFeeley's. It is still my go to bit unless I need longer reach for pocket holes. Haven't had any trouble with my Kreg bits either but they aren't nearly as old nor as used as my favorite.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    I thought the difference with Robertson screws was that the square drive (the tool and the recess) was tapered while the earlier square drives were not.
    This is my belief as well. Robertson screws have a tapered square slot that "sticks" really well to the screwdriver. They're great for one handed assembly as they'll stay in place really well.

Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by John D Watson View Post
    The most robust set I've used yet. And their color coded. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417
    The one downside of these is that the colour coating increases the size of the shaft to the point where they don't fit in some bit holders.