Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you spend $91,000 remodeling a $150,000 house?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Is that the HomePath thing? There are a lot of houses for sale around here advertised with that.

If the value of the finished house is inline with the costs and you will be happy with the final result and the time to complete, I say go for it.
    No, this is HomeSteps. HomePath is Fannie Mae and HomeSteps is Freddie Mac. Unfortunately, HomeSteps does not do financing in Minnesota yet.

This is the same Freddie Mac home I have been working on for a while.

I am getting a conventional rehab loan. I have tried to find another mortgage company that will allow better terms, but I have not found anything
    Plent of the houses on the market in my area are second &/or third time foreclosures.
    A lot of the owners took out a 203k or conventional rehab loan (Homestyle- IIRC is what they call the non-203k version).
    Where they get nailed is with the deadline for work & the fact that they are really paying for a loan that their house can't cover - even with a substantial down payment.
    In this case, the payments and the loan are based on the finish price of $241,000.00.
    That's the amount the lender is going to come after you for if, God forbid, something happens and you can't make the monthly payments.
    Meanwhile, the value of the uncompleted property is what it is.
    And based on the huge losses I've seen - uncompleted work on a property is just as bad, if not worse, than something being in need of repairs.

Bottom line here is - asking for our opinion on this is pretty meaningless since it's a pretty high risk undertaking.
    I'm not at the "higher risk" stage of life.

Yes - I'd buy a $150,000.00 house that needed $90,000.00 worth of work - but - only under very strict lines.
    No - I'd never take out a rehab loan @ this stage of my life & with my present financial situation.

Keep in mind that - the higher the risk, the greater the potential rewards.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I would expect the rehab to take three months at most. The majority of the work is the heating/cooling system and the siding/windows/doors. At that time the house will be complete and fully liveable. I have no worries about the project getting half done and running into financial ruin.

If I bought another house I would still be taking out a similar size mortgage. I'm currently looking into a really nice house that is $280,000, but it has a 36x56 garage that is big enough for my motorhome. The downside is it uses propane for heat so it could cost 2.5 times as much as gas heat. It is also an additional 8 miles each way to work, but reasonably close to commuter rail.

Brian, there is a "rule of thumb" that applies here (some posters have already mentioned it directly or alluded to it, so I'm just chiming in). Don't over-build for the area where the house is located. However, most of the items you listed are cosmetic and maintenance and do not result in over-building, in my view. If it is reasonable that this house would be valued at approx $250,000 if it were new in this location, then your money is probably safe. In any case, you should plan on living there for, say, 10 years, which reduces your risk. Sounds like the bank is pretty strict on priorities and standards.

If I bought another house I would still be taking out a similar size mortgage.
    Yes - but the huge difference is that the other house would have it's full value.
    The rehab house only has it's full value once all the work is completed.

& as I mentioned above, one of the "gotcha's" people around here ran into was with the contractors completing on time.

It's a risk but - you could end up sitting real pretty if it all works out.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I lot would depend on the GC and quality of materials being used. Anderson windows sounds great. But if my new bathroom was going to have the cheapest flooring and if the fixtures were going to be cheap builder stuff, I'd be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I lot would depend on the GC and quality of materials being used. Anderson windows sounds great. But if my new bathroom was going to have the cheapest flooring and if the fixtures were going to be cheap builder stuff, I'd be concerned.
    I don't plan on selling this house any time soon, but you never know. I stayed in my last (and first) house for 12+ years. The contractor talked to me about how long I was planning to stay when pricing the bathroom remodel. He basically said if I planned to live in the house long term that I should install a tile surround on the tub and tile floors.

The house has three bathrooms. The main bathroom in the house needs a full gut and redo. It appears the previous owners started a bathroom remodel, but never got beyond demo. The toilet, exhaust fan, sink, and counter are all missing. I doubt they got mad and stole the stuff because they didn't touch the other bathrooms. I was planning to redo the bathroom myself, but I was told that I might have a hard time with the appraisal if the main bathroom was in shambles. Technically, I only have to have one working bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

Keep in mind that - the higher the risk, the greater the potential rewards.
    Generally speaking the reverse is true; great potential reward requires high risk.
    But high risk doesn't necessarily have great potential rewards. Often it is just foolish.

I am still looking at other options for a house while I wait on the other bids to remodel this house. One house that looked good has an outbuilding that isn't tall enough inside.

Generally speaking the reverse is true; great potential reward requires high risk.

How is that the reverse of the higher the risk, the greater the potential rewards?
    They both read the same to me.

If I bet on a long shot horse and it comes in, I get a higher reward.

Remodeling and schedules are both approximations of what you really want.

In no way would I consider living in a construction zone.
    Drywall dust will be settling, long after the crews have gone.

Whenever that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    ....In no way would I consider living in a construction zone.
    Drywall dust will be settling, long after the crews have gone....
    This ^^^^

I know folks do it, see it on DIY shows, etc., but whatever someone thinks they are "saving" by not renting an apt. or whatever, I don't know how a family unit can function in a house that has a major remodel going on. At least not without contemplating divorce or something, LOL. The noise, chaos, lack of climate control, dust, etc. I just don't know how anyone can deal with it. Just my 2-cents, anyhow.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    This ^^^^

I know folks do it, see it on DIY shows, etc., but whatever someone thinks they are "saving" by not renting an apt. or whatever, I don't know how a family unit can function in a house that has a major remodel going on. At least not without contemplating divorce or something, LOL. The noise, chaos, lack of climate control, dust, etc. I just don't know how anyone can deal with it. Just my 2-cents, anyhow.
    I'm currently living with my parents and would remain living with my parents until the house was ready for move-in. I would not be living there during construction. The sale of my former house closed more than two months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I'm currently living with my parents and would remain living with my parents until the house was ready for move-in. I would not be living there during construction. The sale of my former house closed more than two months ago.
    facebook_like_icon1.jpg

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    This ^^^^

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    I did it twice. Really no choice. I wanted to do the remodel and absolutely could not afford to go live some place else. One remodel was a kitchen - but pretty major. Added on to the house to make the kitchen larger. We used the microwave and washed dishes in the bathroom sink.

The other was a complete renovation of the second floor. Basically took down all the walls and reconfigured the upstairs, All the bathrooms were reconfigured and, of course, all new fixtures. Used the downstairs bathroom which luckily had a shower.

It was a mess but I was able to monitor the work pretty well. I didn't feel it was a real problem for our marriage.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.