Thread: Robert Sorby RS60 Eccentric Chuck.....Worth the price?

Robert Sorby RS60 Eccentric Chuck.....Worth the price?

Been a long while since I've posted. Recently had time to turn a little and I'm on fire again so here I am with a question. I'm turning on a Jet 1236.
    Considering getting the Sorby RS60 eccentric chuck but it's pricey. Wondering if anyone is using it or has used it and is it worth the price?
    other option is to get a good four jaw and something like the Joyner chuck for eccentric.
    thoughts and opinions appreciated.

if you do not have a 4 jaw chuck.....that seems to me the first step.......I have know turners to just use face plates that turn some beautiful stuff, just need a larger blank.....I have never used any of the eccentric chucks.....have considered them from time to time, just never come off the hip......there is a lot you can do with simple tools on a lathe

The Sorby chuck will allow you to turn repeatable offsets. If that is not needed, you can make an offset chuck or turn offset between centers.
    I have turned several goblets with the stem turned offset between centers and also turned paper openers using offset between centers. I have also used the technique to turn tri-cornered boxes with twisted sides.

I made an offset chuck using maple and a sliding dovetail for turning pendants. Use a set screw to lock the offset. If you do not have a scroll chuck, you can thread the maple to fit the spindle. I used a sacrificial face and tape to mount pendants, but a screw exiting the face from inside the dovetail would allow you to use it as a screw chuck. There is also a commercial chuck available for pendants that works well. Ruth Niles of bottle stopper fame, sells it as do others.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I bought the Joyner chuck to make small ducks. It didn't work very well for that purpose. A member of our Dallas Area Woodturners club gave a demo using his Sorby and it was far superior to the Joyner for turning ducks. I consider my Joyner chuck to be a single purpose device for pendants.
    If you do not have a four jaw chuck, I would make that my first (and second and maybe third) purchase. I hate changing jaws.

I am in the process of making some pendants with my grandniece. We will be using my Joyner jig and also a jig designed by Gary Rance and promoted on his DVD. You will need a four jaw chuck to use the Rance jig.

The eccentric chuck is probably my next "big" purchase. As Thom said it allows you to do REPEATABLE offset turnings. For that purpose, it is worth the money IMO. But as almost everyone else said, a scroll chuck should be your first (second and third) purchase. Then get an eccentric. It's pretty limited in use, but it does what it is designed for really well.
    You do not NEED the eccentric chuck for offset turnings, you can do it with just your spur drive. Give it a try and see what you think. If you like offest turnings, then you should get the eccentric chuck. Offset turning is not for everyone.
    Just my $0.02.

i do have a cheap four jaw chuck from pennstate ind I've used for years. I just have an interest in turning eccentric pieces. i've always been drawn to the odd stuff for some reason. I've done a couple of offset turned gobblets but would like to have the ability for a set way of doing it, not just for repeatability to match things to each other.

Well, I decided to get a Nova G3, Sorby micro spirial tool and joyner eccentric chuck. I don't think I'll have any regrets. Just gotta figure out how to use them now. Ought to be fun.