Thread: Are there any good "Eclipse-style" guides???

Are there any good "Eclipse-style" guides???

I guess my question is in the title...Are there any good "Eclipse-style" guides???

I have a couple, but they are cheesy (And we are not talking Sharp Cheddar Cheesy. More like Imitation American Cheesy.)

Does anybody make a good one?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

stu (toolsfromjapan) has one that's made in japan, but it's not an original eclipse. It'd probably cost about $30 to get one shipped to here, and up to you to determine if it's better than just finding the other types on sale at different places.

For a while, harbor freight had eclipse style guides painted blue or purple for $3.99.

Oh no , here we go again. I will just say that I have used it and found a bit too poorly made and difficult to use for my own liking. My example had uneven sides and recesses so the blade had a tendency to be slanted in the jig. Yes, you can file the jig but to me if you are going to use one make sure it is a good one.
    I will be killed for this but the best one I have found is this simple Stanley jig here:
    Http://flickr.com/photos/finnberg68/...57635594536633
    Simple to set up, simple to use and rolls very easily on any surface.

I have heard good things about the Kell side clamping guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have heard good things about the Kell side clamping guide.
    I have the large and small Kells guides. Expensive, but the small one is excellent for narrow chisels. Unfortunately, having the wheels "outboard" means you need a platform on the sides of the stone for wide blades or narrow stones.

Harold, I bought a vintage Eclipse (not just Eclipse-style) guide from someone on the UK auction site. Seems much better made than the $10 ones out there. I also have the one Lie-Nielsen sells and it's fine as well, but not quite as smooth as the real Eclipse.

Steve

You can still find the originals on ebay. I have one I bought new 40 years ago, and it's still dead on accurate. I frequently hear of problems with the Chinese knock-offs on forums.

I got an original Eclipse for a couple of bucks at a MWTCA tailgate sale a few years back. Reason cheap was the wheel would not turn freely, but that was easily cured through disassembly, cleaning and oiling. I have a knock-off, can't remember where it came from, but at the time I was using jigs, I typically bought stuff from Tools for Working Wood or Lee Valley. It operates as well as the original Eclipse.

I believe David Charlesworth offered some alterations/improvements on the knock-offs as a chapter in one of his fine books. I did not try the changes, but they were offered to address issues such as mounting a Japanese chisel, etc.

I don't believe there are any issues with a jig this simple, that can't be solved through investing a bit of time to smooth out the rough edges and oil a bit (or apply the same time to learning to sharpen free hand!).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post

I believe David Charlesworth offered some alterations/improvements on the knock-offs as a chapter in one of his fine books. I did not try the changes, but they were offered to address issues such as mounting a Japanese chisel, etc.
    I tuned mine using the Schwarz instructions and it helped considerably. Still not perfect in every application but what guide is?

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...p-honing-guide

I have an original and have always liked the simplicity, but I did the Puchalski fettle to a friend's more recent jig and it works nicely. Years ago I made a similar jig from 6061 aluminum which I still use on chisels with less common geometries and another special purpose jig from black acetal.

Some have even modded the Eclipse into a whole sharpening system, like this one for scary-sharp.

It would seem easy to make a high quality Eclipse knockoff, but don't know anyone offering one. Of course there are other jigs that work similarly.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

One day L-N will bring theirs out.

For Christmas? or is this just my wishful thinking.

I have to say that the poor standard of some of the present day models, does not seem to matter much.

Squareness of chisels , for example is a function of finger force and where you put it, not of the geometry of the guide.

Best wishes,
    David

Why settle for Eclipse-type? Original Eclipse brand guides are often available on the UK versions of auctions sites. I have three of them---each slightly different---, but they are definitely well made and accurate. You will probably pay about twice what a knock-off version sells for. David Charlesworth mention the one from Lie-Nielsen that they have shown at trade events, but have never released. If they ever do produce it, you know it will be done right. It won't be inexpensive.

Last I heard it might be out by this fall but...

L-N has one out now based on the Eclipse for $15
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/blade-sha...-honing-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G Brown View Post
    L-N has one out now based on the Eclipse for $15
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/blade-sha...-honing-guide/
    That's a generic copy of the Eclipse. Just ok. They may be introducing a much-improved proprietary version with interchangeable jaws for virtually all honing scenarios and USA quality. The question is "when"?

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    One day L-N will bring theirs out.

Squareness of chisels , for example is a function of finger force and where you put it, not of the geometry of the guide.
    I eagerly await L-N's entry. While you're right that almost any Eclipse-style jig will work fine, something a little more snazzy wouldn't be a bad thing, although I'll likely stick with my original model and homebrews.

Yeah, technique—finger force, whatever—is the key and I consider that flexibility a feature rather than a drawback, allowing one to finesse things a bit.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε