Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting started with hollow forms

Green to final in one go; outside first, inside last. I use Ellsworth's tools and a Hunter 3 (small stuff) or 5 (larger, up to 8" deep). I bought the shaft+cutter from Ellsworth and turned my own handles.

I learned to hollow from Ellsworth, and believe his style hollowing scrapers are basic for all future hollowing you will attempt. Practicing on smaller open forms where you can see the tools in action will give you a good understanding of the process, then you graduate to closed forms with smaller and smaller openings. I have collected and made many hollowing tools over the years, but now prefer the Monster system augmented with the larger Jordon tool shafts.

Wanna try it out? Be on the cheap? Go get the Benjamin's Best 3 piece hollowing set*. I bought my set for about $35 and still use them to hand hollow my 4-5" hollow forms through a 1/2" hole. They stay sharp fairly long and just plain work. No gauge but that is what calipers are for. I am a big proponent of folks needing to learn hand hollowing before spending the money on a hollowing rig. You need to understand the way the tool works inside and the motion of following the blind interior curve. Then upgrade to a system and you wont get beat up on those stubborn woods. Although truth be known, once you learn to hand hollow correctly, it doesn't beat you up.

For a larger set I bought the Trent Bosch set. These work well and fit in my hollowing rigs just fine too.

Best advise (short of seeking out a mentor) is shape the exterior completely, drill a hole to a point 1/8 of your desired bottom, hollow from the entrance hole to the bottom, blow the shavings/dust out every 30 seconds or so and cut at or just above the center line.

(* throw the super angled one away! Its large bend it a catch monster and virtually useless.)
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

HI Marty. As an owner with no other attachment to DWay tools I have and occasionally use Dave's system. I think Dave turns in reverse because it allows him a slightly more comfortable stance and posture. The tool works great as long as you don't want to do anything with a very small hole. The cutter is easily sharpened and is replaceable. I did purchase his system to turn in reverse but I would caution anyone who is unable to 'lock' your chuck or face plate to do the same. I have an expensive captured system but often just pick up his tool when I want more of a 'feel' with a smaller type hollow form.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Some "big time" turners like J.P. Fennell and Don Derry turn "backwards" because its more comfortable standing at the lathe, so I tried it. I didn't pursure it because it felt so awkward since I had been hollowing spinning "anticlockwise" for years!

Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly Dave gives the option of forward or reverse turning with his hollowing rig. Might not hurt to call and talk with him to be sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Well I guess I'm the cheapy here, I built my own hollowing rig, and I love it. Have been able to go 10" deep so far but I think it can go a little deeper. Total cost $60 including laser. You need a drill press even a table top will do, a few good drills and a 3/8" tap, not much building skills needed. B.jpg

I started with Dave's hollowing tool - was lucky enough to have him looking over my shoulder the first time I used it so the learning curve may have been shortened a bit. Seems like a very reasonable way to get started hollowing and learn the process and the feel of it. It is, or at least was available for either reverse or standard hollowing. As for hollowing in reverse - it seems to me to be much more natural and easier to see and feel what you're doing - but then I'm naturally left handed so I do a lot of things that may seem awkward to right handers. As long as the chuck is secured, there's little that can go wrong; at least it hasn't been a problem so far. I did put together a Jamieson system for deeper hollowing and have even set it up to use in reverse when it seemed like the best solution.

I have a dway hollower. I got the one for reverse turning. This keeps you from reaching across your lathe to hollow in forward. Works great.

Well it looks like I'll be getting a Monster hollowing system. And the PM 3520B that it's attached to... More details in about a week...

Marty,
    You have some hollowing tools now......lol
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.