Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Source for Lighted Base

Question Source for Lighted Base

Just spent some quality time with my small milling machine, now doing wood instead of metal. Made a nice slotted wood base with a couple holes for LED's and then routed the bottom side out for the wiring. Looks very nice, but also very time consuming.
    Looked on eBay and Google search came up with not much.

So does anyone have a Source for lighted bases with a slot for say .235 thick Acrylic ?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I've been looking on here and searching the Internet for 2 days.... nothing. Looks like I should be making bases instead of laser art ..??

Bill

Send a pm to Jim Good.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I sent messages to Jim on July 1st he said he'd get right back to me with info and paypal addy so i could buy from him and never heard another word from him.
    hope he's OK
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I sent messages to Jim on July 1st he said he'd get right back to me with info and paypal addy so i could buy from him and never heard another word from him.
    hope he's OK
    That has been the story all along, I can find sites but they are either dead links or totally not related to what I am looking for... thanks Google.

What type of bases do you need and how many.

I need some of these too.

Surely it must be possible to manufacture one with the laser?

Off to fire up the CAD program...
    Trotec Speed 400 120W | JobControl 10.6 | Atmos Duo | Adobe Illustrator CC | CorelDraw X8

Have you tried http://www.harborsales.net/tabid/130...ductTypeId=80? I was looking for a source a while back and this was the best thing I could come up with. They're not too beautiful, but if you're looking for something unobtrusive, they might work. I've actually made my own on the laser from black acrylic. Making the prototype was annoying and time consuming, but the customer loved it. UNLIT.jpg Please let us know if you find a source for wood. I keep threatening to make the hubs show me how to use the router so I can make my own, but I'd much rather find someone.

I did not feel like creating an account just to shop and get prices right now, But I will, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I did not feel like creating an account just to shop and get prices
    ^^^^^^^^ This. I HATE that!

IMG_1559.jpgIMG_1560.jpgIMG_1561.jpg

Fortunately for me, I have a wonderful hubby that's a woodworker and he creates these wonderful wood bases for our LED signs. It also gives me an additional area to engrave information on for the customer. We do sell just the bases if you'd like to message me and we can work out some pricing. We have access to some wonderful woods that make for great bases.

Those look pretty nice, but my led strips are .25 wide and the acrylic sheets are .125.
    kinda needs to be a groove thats wider at the bottom and narrower at the top like a dove tail wood joint. Can you do that type of grove?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Those look pretty nice, but my led strips are .25 wide and the acrylic sheets are .125.
    kinda needs to be a groove thats wider at the bottom and narrower at the top like a dove tail wood joint. Can you do that type of grove?
    Hi Bert,

Yes, that's something that he can do. The ones that I posted are what he's made for me because I use just over 1/4" wide LED stripes and my acrylic sheets are just shy of 1/4".

He'll try to get a sample of one like this in the next few days and I'll post it. It will just be a matter of finding a router bit that will accommodate those sizes.

Is there a specific reason why you use such thin stock? I'm just curious, I've never used that this before for a sign.

Thanks,
    Michele

Well I am in the middle of making a batch, it is not the making.... its the time involved. I am using the same acrylic as you and where are you getting LED strips that small or narrow I should say? I am drilling holes in the bottom of the slot and wiring up T3 clear extra bright LED's. The wiring will be tucked underneath in routed slots and soldered to the 3 volt power supply cord. I figure with the LED's and power supplies plus the labor they need to sell for $20 - $30 each. I think that is too high priced even before you add the laser engraved glass or acrylic.

Ok I just went to a link I had Bookmarked a while back and found LED strips 8 and 10 mm wide and the spacing for the LED's is about what I have now. I also think I have a milling cutter to cut the groove at the bottom of my slot....
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-03-2014 at 7:21 PM.

Bill,

I've had GREAT luck with the LED reels in multiple colors & RGB from Amazon. I typically get a 5M or 16.4 Ft reel for somewhere around $8 - $10. I have Amazon Prime, so no shipping charge. We've used these for over a year now and haven't had any come back or problems with any. We have one ourselves and it's still as bright today as it was a year ago and no dead bulbs. You can cut them every 3 bulbs. We do have a company out of Northern California that we purchase our power supplies and leads from. On the leads we have a thumb switch installed so there's an on/off switch and then hubs just solders it all together and the power comes off one end of the base. There isn't a whole lot of wiring that needs to be hidden so no need for a slot underneath. He heat shrinks a cover over the wiring for protection and it looks nice and polished and finished.

Also, you mentioned your power supply, is it 3 volt or 3 amp? I researched alot before beginning to make the LED Edge Lit Signs and unless your doing a sign longer than 6 ft you only need a 1 amp power supply.

Let me know if I can help! That's what we're here for! I love this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Well I am in the middle of making a batch, it is not the making.... its the time involved. I am using the same acrylic as you and where are you getting LED strips that small or narrow I should say? I am drilling holes in the bottom of the slot and wiring up T3 clear extra bright LED's. The wiring will be tucked underneath in routed slots and soldered to the 3 volt power supply cord. I figure with the LED's and power supplies plus the labor they need to sell for $20 - $30 each. I think that is too high priced even before you add the laser engraved glass or acrylic.

Ok I just went to a link I had Bookmarked a while back and found LED strips 8 and 10 mm wide and the spacing for the LED's is about what I have now. I also think I have a milling cutter to cut the groove at the bottom of my slot....